Cayuga 8/19

Cayuga 8/19

Late report.

Launched out of Taughannock (sp?) for the first time. Started a North troll on the West side, regularly picking up small fish. Landlocks and lakers. Tried jigging some lakers, but it didn't work out. Hooked two and lost them both. 

I haven't figured out the rainbow game on Cayuga, so I tried a something a little new. We trolled South, down the middle, with #1 Dipsys on a 3 setting at 125', 5 colors of leadcore down the chute, and a mag dipsy on 0 at 200'. Figured I could catch some lakers while trying to cover the top of the water column. 

We doubled regularly, lots of nice lake trout, and some decent landlocks, but no bows. The biggest fish were hitting the 125' on a 3, and the core never took a hit. 

All spoon colors and sizes worked, but flasher flies took the majority of fish. 

Biggest landlock was 6lbs, and laker 12lb. Only 4 fish in the middle were under 4lbs, with several lakers over 10. 

I was surprised with the size of fish on this trip. We left at 12:30 and headed north for kings. 

I'm jealous! I can't seem to find them?! :thinking: 

It was the third time I've tried leadcore. We took some small guys in close during the am, but lakers and LL. Ran mag spoons down to 2 1/2" slim spoons.  Planers, flashers, dodgers, naked...didn't help. Maybe next time I'll try the stickbaits. 

I've heard rainbows prefer the upper water column and was trying to fish 20-40'. Is that about right?

For the first time this summer my 10 color cores were silent on Sat.  I had temp down 65 feet so the cores are up too high.  I did get 3 bows on pink spoons 70 down over 200.  You want bows?  Pink is your color.  We had a nice steady pick of lakers and LL's all the way up to 1:00.  Divers out 265 and riggers down 70 with sliders.   The fish didn't seem to be on the temp break as usual.  They were below it about 5 to 10 feet. 

RR