Eclipse Angling!

I'm down on the eastern shore, Virginia. Had about 85% eclipse and it was still pretty bright, temps went way down for a couple hrs. Fishing has sucked so far, 14 mile runs off shore for only some small bass off the wrecks and a handful of flounder. 1 dolphin fish about 12lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Three of us fished the eclipse  from 7AM til about 8 PM aboard the Admiral Byrd boat out of Hughes Marina on Lake O. It was a VERY slow day all the way around. We managed a total of 6 kings with two at about 16 llbs as the biggest. They were kept but the smaller 4 were released. Three came on flasher/fly combos on my home made white or green google eyed flies, one of the larger fish  came on a spoon ythat was a wild multicolored generic magnum spoon and the other smalls also on spoons on riggers at about 90 over the 3 hundreds. It was all in all a VERY slow rigger bite compared with last time out. We ventured out to about 600 ft then came back in as we stopped marking fish out deep. I'm not sure whether it was eclipse related but we marked most of the fish we saw during the afternoon way down deep at 200 -350 ft down in the water column and a few at about 100 ft. down suspended but they would not hit anything we tried. Neither of us has ever seen so many suspended that deep before (with nothing around them e.g. bait). Bob even ran a downrigger at 220 ft over whatever to see if he could get something to hit just to satisfy our curiosity but to no avail. We also had a few hit and runs on the wires  intermittently but gone before we could even grab the rods. Although we tried a multitude of depths with the wires (250-400 out) the fish that hit were at 275 set on 1 or 300 set at 3.Riggers only fired at 90 and 100 on spoonsnothing would hit shallower or deeper set. The heat was nearly unbearable in the afternoon and the flies took their toll on my (once again) ill-prepared companions who were wearing shorts.:lol: They might be fast on the learning curve for fishing but not on fly avoidance:lol: The undercurrents were VERY strong and created a couple irritating problems with line positioning (nice way of saying tangles). Although the GPS reading was about 2.2 to 2.4 it seemed as though we were going much faster when looking at the angle of the lines probably relating to the strong currents.

johnfish.jpg

lesfish.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I missed that post....nice going Billy....thinking out of the box too:yes: That would be a spectacular fish no matter where it is caught.