greetings rfom Maui, Hawaii

greetings from Maui, Hawaii

It has been a week of great experiences. First the airport in Toronto where they let us through with overweight luggage without having to pay extra and then the seemingly endless flight over six time zones. After having arrived in Maui ,we first spent time in Hana. I did not get much fishing in over there, but mostly hiking along the seashore and into the rain forest ,while stopping to eat exotic fruits right from the trees.

Then came the west side of the Island where all the tourist hotels are. Fishing from the shore every morning while casting with a float that has lead in it to improve distance . The line itself had no sinker on it. This keeps the bait and hook away from the very rocky bottom.So every morning there was the shore fishing. Next came the sports fishing charter for tuna and mahi mahi. This was a huge disappointment. We went with a charter company that took us out to deep water and there we started trolling in deep water at ten miles an hour,with the lures skimming the surface.In the first 5 minutes we hit a mahi mahi and a few minutes later another much harder hit with nobody home. From there on for the rest of the trip nothing. The captain did not do anything to change tactics, he just kept running the same gear at the same speed. These people are very jaded ,and it is obvious that they are not very motivated to make a (very expensive) trip a special trip.

Next day was kayak fishing. the guide ,Jon Jon, made it an unforgettable adventure. we launched his 2 seater hobi kajak kayak from shore at apoint where the currents clash, caught some bait with a sabiki rig and from there on ,it was game on. The fish we caught were giant trevally (GT) and these forty, fifty pound monsters ,four of them,would take us for kayak rides and gave me some serious muscle aches. My suggestion for holiday trippers would be to stay away from the charter companies and go with a private boat owner and, if you can, go with a kayak.I'll try to get some pictures up later when I get back to Rochester.

For now,Aloha.

Edited by rolmops

Don't feel bad about the ocean charter i experience the same thing on the Kenai.  A lot of fish around and we just kept doing the same thing with very little results. I think a lot guides in vacation areas like that don't get a lot of experienced anglers.

Edited by salmonboy41

You could have been in one of the Canadian provinces that requires you to hire a guide to fish for Atlantic Salmon.  Most of the guides don't know one end of the rod from another, they just sit along shore and smoke and take your dollars.  I would like to see reciprocal licensing so if people from those provinces come to NY to fish for salmon, they would be required to hire a guide as well.  

8 hours ago, salmonboy41 said:

Don't feel bad about the ocean charter i experience the same thing on the Kenai.  A lot of fish around and we just kept doing the same thing with very little results. I think a lot guides in vacation areas like that don't get a lot of experienced anglers.

that happen to me as well.

Aloha, Cornellius!

The GT is a great fighting fish. i am glad you are very lucky to be out there in the beautiful Pacific ocean with your wife.

Last May I spend two weeks fishing on my buddy's private charter, Five Star from the Kona Harbor on the Big Island.  I agree with you about their tactics being are somewhat less aggressive as compared to the way we fish in our big pond. During the two weeks, we had a spotty results as compared to the other charter boat that was fishing with us. Some days we skunked and some days we got fish on including spearfish, tuna and blue marlin. As expensive as it can get, chartering is beyond reach for most of us including myself and not even many people could charter a boat for a week or more.

I must add that spearfish is very unique to the Hawaii basin. It was a shame fishing the small spearfish on a heavy tackle.

Be sure to eat the kalbi Ribs!

Anthony

The guide's name is Jon Jon Tabon. His (one man) company is called "Local fishing Knowledge".

A bit more about Jon Jon. I just read that he is one of the few guides to ever make it to discovery channel fame. Before I decided to go out with him, I asked him what he does with all the fish that customers catch on his kayak, he answered that I can have some , but then he added that a lot of the fish caught on his boat is given away to neighbors who are not as fortunate as he is.That answer made me decide to go with him. It made me feel that the money I paid him went twice as far and I felt honored to be on his kayak.

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

Edited by rolmops