Right of Way?

Two US Navy destroyers were struck by oil tankers. Both were struck on their port side that shows a red light giving them the alleged right of way. It is nothing more than "ink on a piece of paper". You must do something to avoid collision with another vessel. The first question asked by the insurance company is " what did you do to avoid the accident?". Right of way is not the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Two US Navy destroyers were struck by oil tankers. Both were struck on their port side that shows a red light giving them the alleged right of way. It is nothing more than "ink on a piece of paper". You must do something to avoid collision with another vessel. The first question asked by the insurance company is " what did you do to avoid the accident?". Right of way is not the answer.

As you stated. Avoiding a collision is paramount there is really no right of way on the water. There are stand on and give way vessels but the rules of the road stipulate that the rules go out the window to avoid a collision

I do everything I can to avoid other boats, right of way be damned. I never assume the other boats will do the right thing... so I steer clear

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think there is a much bigger issue than "right of way". Electronic warfare is a bigger deal than ever, especially when you consider the complex electronic systems used by navy ships. I think these tankers we're trying to sink these ships, and might have had the capability to disable these 2 destroyers. But the Navy and our government will never admit to us or the world that a tanker disabled our billion dollar ships. They would rather blame the crews than face that kind of international embarrassment. In my mind these are acts of terror, and the injured/dead sailors should be awarded Purple Hearts.

But that's just my opinion...

I think there is a much bigger issue than "right of way". Electronic warfare is a bigger deal than ever, especially when you consider the complex electronic systems used by navy ships. I think these tankers we're trying to sink these ships, and might have had the capability to disable these 2 destroyers. But the Navy and our government will never admit to us or the world that a tanker disabled our billion dollar ships. They would rather blame the crews than face that kind of international embarrassment. In my mind these are acts of terror, and the injured/dead sailors should be awarded Purple Hearts.

But that's just my opinion...
I'm with you for sure

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

^^^^ I agree in that something is out of kilter. With the radar that all the boats involved have how in the world can you not foresee/track a collision. I realize there ships and don't turn on a dime but a simple shout out to one your on a collision course with, as in, you head to your port and I will head to my port or whatever would of stopped these "accidents" from happening