Targeting Lakers¿

At this time of the year, there will be tons of smaller fish in 90-100.  Bigger fish will be in 120 - 200.  If you want lakers, you will have to travel East of Sandy Creek to find decent numbers.  1.0 - 1.8 with cowbells and spin n glo rigs are the most productive method. 

It's funny .. before I met greenboatluke at a launch and he told me about this site ... when I was first experimenting with all this ... I went to a tackle shop that I won't name .. and asked the guy for some help with a couple good set ups for lake trout .... I was basically scoffed at... explained I was just getting into it and fish

is fish I just want to catch... said lazy people target lake trout...  

i never really understood that? Now that I've caught trout and salmon ... yes kings are much more action to get in ... but I don't complain about a lake trout 

either way ... just wanted to say that I picked a few things myself to try... didn't know the name of it .. but looking online at the "gambler rigs".. yup that's what I have .  I use luhr jenson cowbells ... just because it's what I had 

22 minutes ago, JTowne said:

It's funny .. before I met greenboatluke at a launch and he told me about this site ... when I was first experimenting with all this ... I went to a tackle shop that I won't name .. and asked the guy for some help with a couple good set ups for lake trout .... I was basically scoffed at... explained I was just getting into it and fish

is fish I just want to catch... said lazy people target lake trout...  

i never really understood that? Now that I've caught trout and salmon ... yes kings are much more action to get in ... but I don't complain about a lake trout 

either way ... just wanted to say that I picked a few things myself to try... didn't know the name of it .. but looking online at the "gambler rigs".. yup that's what I have .  I use luhr jenson cowbells ... just because it's what I had 

If laker fishing is for lazy people, he has no idea what he is talking about.  Laker fishing is WAY more work than king fishing.  King fishing, you set your spread and cover water.  Laker fishing, you are constantly reeling in fish and resetting riggers, adjusting the riggers to keep them close to the bottom and washing the laker poop off the deck. 

7 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

If laker fishing is for lazy people, he has no idea what he is talking about.  Laker fishing is WAY more work than king fishing.  King fishing, you set your spread and cover water.  Laker fishing, you are constantly reeling in fish and resetting riggers, adjusting the riggers to keep them close to the bottom and washing the laker poop off the deck.

X2

Cowbelling is for sure not for the lazy man especially with hand crank riggers :lol: however I like resetting as fast as possible that's one of the reasons I went to bellis tackle bells aswell is because I can drop a rigger faster without the drag of the cowbells causing release to trip and having to bring rigger back up again and start over like I have issues with using luhr Jensen and hammerhead sometimes. Any brand will work but if I could have had my hands on a set of bellis tackle bells when we first started cowbelling on my boat I probably wouldve done it alot more even sooner

I love lake trot fishing. I've been hooked on them from age 12, now 65. I like browns landlocked rainbows etc. But Lakers are fun. Got my 2 grand daughters into it. 5 and 7. I put them on Lakers and they reel them in all day till they drop. I wear the out. The smiles on kids faces when a big 8 or 9 lber. hits the deck is money well spent and memories never to forget. They are work. But fun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

LT fishing is very hard work, yet very rewarding also. When targeting lake trout, I never sit down. Always working the riggers, watching the downrigger arms for just the right amount of touching bottom, hooking fish for others, etc. I usually search for wide flat bottom areas in 95 to 120 feet on Huron and spend my time going across the flat, back and forth between 1.2 and 2 mph (1.6 average) depending on the waves. Gambler rigs work and they work great. The only unknown for me that I need to figure out after I get out there is color and cowbells vs Dodgers. Depends on the day. I've had 100% cowbell days and 100% dodger days. Green has been a hot color this summer as well as white. I use Hammerhead size 5 cowbells and trash can / smoke or green Dodgers.

When I was young I made trips with my Dad up in Northern Ontario to target lake trout. That's where I learned about cowbell techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United