Help my boat steers hard, why ?

I assume you have a I/O. The first thing I would do is narrow down where the problem is. Try disconnecting the steering linkage from the outdrive. Is the outdrive hard to move by hand or is the steering cable sticking ? Maybe it has a hydraulic steering ram that is starting to bind up and needs to be rebuilt. Or power steering pump is on the way out . Really need more info than your original post states ,like make and model of outdrive and steering system/brand as well.

I assume you have a I/O. The first thing I would do is narrow down where the problem is. Try disconnecting the steering linkage from the outdrive. Is the outdrive hard to move by hand or is the steering cable sticking ? Maybe it has a hydraulic steering ram that is starting to bind up and needs to be rebuilt. Or power steering pump is on the way out . Really need more info than your original post states ,like make and model of outdrive and steering system/brand as well.

It's an 91 thompson carrera with an alpha one outdrive I'm not sure what the steering system is

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is more than likely the steering cable. 

X2. I had to replace my cable this past spring. Same symptom hard steering. Not a bad job. Running it to the stern was the worst part take your old cable out before you order the new cable. The length is clearly marked on the cable

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app