What lures would you buy first?

I have a new boat with downriggers. I am going to start outfitting it to be able to troll for salmon and spring browns. If you were in my situation what are the first lures you would buy? I know it will take me awhile to build my full arsenal, but I am hoping to maximize my initial purchases by choosing wisely. Thank you for your time and guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am sure everyone on here has their ideal set up for each fish. I am also sure I will get blasted by some, but here goes. For Spring browns, standard Stingers are the way to go, run off of planer boards. For summer kings, the Moonshine spoons were hot for us, as well as the old stand by, NK 28's. I know they are back in production, but nowhere near the selection there once was. Look on eBay, the classifieds on this forum, CL, wherever you can get them. Buy them up, and hold on to them. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Various tick baits... bayrats, rapala, Smithwick

Various spoons... Michigan stingers, northern kings

A few flashers in various green patterns 

Some flies.... hammer fly is an old stand by

An 11inch flasher with a Twinkie rig and meat head

Edited by bandrus1

I think Guffins pretty straight up with his answer, and that's how I started. One thing I would add is, I would add the go to favorite stick baits, Smithwicks, Rapala, bombers, in the natural colors, perch colors, silver/black a lot will say orange bottom. Oh and a few Bay Rats. If you could be more specific of the the area's you'll be fishing that would help also because not all works from the southern shores to the northeast shores. Best of luck this sight is very very good for buying lures, and the prices are the best, watch for the post numbers of the seller!! Those with high post numbers are well trusted!! Also the shows they have during the winter are good things to go to as they have all kinds of goodies they sell.

You could catch all the fish in the lake with about 10 sticks, 20 spoons, 5 dodgers, 3 flies and 2 meat rigs. My suggestion? Look at the classified section for lots of spoons and sticks, as this will be the best bang for your buck.

Sticks- get a perch, silver blue, silver/black, gold, chartreuse, green and white in any of the mentioned brands.

Spoons- carbon 14, crab face, tuxedo, green gator, dirty white boy, NBK are all go to lures-

I'd get several stinger flashers and several spin doctors. The colors are many, but green and silver are never wrong.

I'd go all atommik on the flies and meat rigs- they are a must.

We all have hundreds of lures, but it's overkill! You could get by with literally about 40 lures total!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you all very much for the replies. This is exactly the starting point info I was looking for. I will most likely be fishing out of Oswego area in spring and up in Henderson area in fall. Thank you again!!!

Most lures are designed to catch fisherman in the stores, not just fish. As noted above, keep it simple. A few stick baits, some spoons (stick with 1-2 brands/sizes so they'll work correctly at the same speed), some rotating flashers and fly combos and a couple meat rigs. Learn how to run them correctly. Be a good observer of details and patterns that repeatedly produce fish for you. That's pretty much the basics, you don't need a floating tackle store; too many variables to chase and master. 4-6 complementary baits working well together will consistently catch more and better fish than a mishmash of this and that.

2 hours ago, John E Powell said:

Most lures are designed to catch fisherman in the stores, not just fish. As noted above, keep it simple. A few stick baits, some spoons (stick with 1-2 brands/sizes so they'll work correctly at the same speed), some rotating flashers and fly combos and a couple meat rigs. Learn how to run them correctly. Be a good observer of details and patterns that repeatedly produce fish for you. That's pretty much the basics, you don't need a floating tackle store; too many variables to chase and master. 4-6 complementary baits working well together will consistently catch more and better fish than a mishmash of this and that.

X2 and less expensive:lol:

Various tick baits... bayrats, rapala, Smithwick

Various spoons... Michigan stingers, northern kings

A few flashers in various green patterns 

Some flies.... hammer fly is an old stand by

An 11inch flasher with a Twinkie rig and meat head

X2. And add a few moonshine carbon 14 and it's a great start

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In late March there are two fishing "flea markets".  One in Watkins Glen and the other near Cicero, can't recall the name of the town.  These two shows are perfect for someone setting up a new boat.  Lots of 1 and 2.00 spoons and sticks, rods reels , electronics and more.

It  is obscene the amount of equipment I OWN, BUT i always leave with a bag full.  IT IS TRUELY A SICKNESS !!!!!

In late March there are two fishing "flea markets".  One in Watkins Glen and the other near Cicero, can't recall the name of the town.  These two shows are perfect for someone setting up a new boat.  Lots of 1 and 2.00 spoons and sticks, rods reels , electronics and more.

It  is obscene the amount of equipment I OWN, BUT i always leave with a bag full.  IT IS TRUELY A SICKNESS !!!!!

You start out with good intentions but you'll end up with enough gear to sink your boat!! Lol it truly is a sickness. ( I hope they never find a cure) lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app