I would think that would be at the discretion of the angler who caught the fish. Or if there was a pre-arrangement made before hand between you & your fishing partners. I've only placed 3 times in the derby & it wasn't for a lot of money. And my fishing buddy & I have always had a 50/50 arrangement no matter who catches the fish. And we're also not on a charter. Maybe the folks who fish on charters can help more with this question than I.

Good Luck & hope you run into that "problem".

B Safe!

Boat gets one share, captain gets a 2nd, and the angler gets the third. Though that being said, I've had 5 fish between 15-20, and one 6th place laker, and with such a small amount the angler has always just gotten the full amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have been lucky enough to have three fish successfully placed in the derby. Every time the fuel expense has been greater than the prize. On our boat we put all the small winnings into the "fuel fund" and we dream about winning the big one so we can fish for free for a season.

On my boat, prizes are split by the number of guys on the boat plus the boat gets a cut AFTER taxes are taken out if it is more than $600.00. 

I'm a charter captain and that's what I do. Boat is a person. It's not cheap to run and only fair the boat gets a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not a charter. Last year my arrangement was I would get 60% and the other fisherman would get 40%. My reasoning is that I have spent MANY thousands on the boat, the equipment, the insurance, the gas, the learning, etc. They show up, reel in a fish, after I have set the lines tied the knots, you name it, and theye get to keep 40% for their $40 entry fee. More than fair. 

I'm not a charter cpt. and I been fortunate to place in the derby a number of times I only fish with 1 other guy in my boat during the loc. we split all gas and whatever if we loose tackle we split if we get a derby fish we split I don't count boat as a person that would mean me as the boat owner would get 2cuts of prize money that wouldn't be fair to my partner who i have fished with for years boat shouldn't get a cut in my opinion your going to own your boat anyway derby or not

15% to the boat and an even split between all on board after that, for any cash prize over $500.00. The boat cost money to buy and it is $3,500.00-4,500.00 a year for dockage, insurance, maintenance repair and gear. If it were just an even split without the 15%, I would just be less in the hole and everyone else would be ahead.

We split it amongst the people on the boat.

The most important thing however... make sure everyone understands whatever your arrangement is prior to leaving the dock.  I'd be pretty upset if I jumped on someone's boat and won $1K only to realize the captain was taking $750 of it.

On my boat, prizes are split by the number of guys on the boat plus the boat gets a cut AFTER taxes are taken out if it is more than $600.00. 
I agree completely, but figured the split would be close and cut my buddy a check......SO WRONG.
1099 from IRS was 47% of payout !!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

41 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

No Sandy boats in the money? What gives?

Very few boats out of Sandy compared to the past!  We are going to give it hell tomorrow Billy. 

My wife and I chartered a boat and also paid to enter the derby.   i was lucky enough to catch the biggest king for the day and am still on the board, but not top 5.   I paid for the charter and, since no mate, I tipped the captain 15%.  I want to be completely fair and give the captain what is appropriate but since I've incurred all the expenses, what is fair?  Most examples are different than my situation, it seems to me anyway, and if I deduct the charter cost and taxes there likely wont be much left to divide.   Thoughts????

When I have clients get into the derby, I tell them that whateIver they win is theirs. If they wanna throw me a bone on a big payday, cool, but the payouts are so low I don't worry about it. It's gotten a bit expensive now so I don't even mention the derby unless we're out 8 hrs.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Discuss this before casting off!!  Saves friendships and potential hard feelings when you nab the big one!!

Gambler dead on when it comes to taxes as well.......

Edited by Dex