Mini Diver Rod

Mini Diver Rod

I was told this would not be effective and need to know why. I fish Oneida lake on occasion for Walleye and usually drift jigs or troll with deep cranks or a harness. Most fish I catch are not what you will catch elswhere, but that's ok, it's only to get out for a while.

The setup I use for trolling is a St Croix 6'6" med / heavy fast action casting style rod. On it is an Abu Garcia 5600c round reel spooled with 14lb mono. This setup works well for me, but now I want to try this with a mini dipsy diver (2 1/4") and a big jon mini. These are a light and very small diver. I troll with bags and usually get down to 1.5 mph. So, if I have luck with bouncers and a harness on this setup, why am I being told it won't work with divers, that I need an 8 to 10 foot rod and my reel spooled with braid.

Really, to run mini divers in 20 feet of water for a 2 1/2 pound fish? Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, FishinIsLife said:

Advice is usually worth what you pay for it. Longer rods would give you more spread, braid more depth (which you don't need in your situation). You'll be fine!

Oh for sure, I definetly believe that if I'm using larger divers for deeper depths, the appropriate rod set up would make sense.