Looking for advice on decent entry-level dipsy rods...

Looking for advice on decent entry-level dipsy rods...

Looking for advice on a good entry-level dipsy diver rod, not looking to spend too much to start.  I picked up several size 0 divers with rings and snubbers at the charter captains shows this spring, just getting into learning how to fish them now in Lake Ontario.  I tried to run one on an Eagle Claw Starfire SF-400A, 9.5ft, but the rod isn't really stiff enough to keep the spread out where I want it.  I am using a basic Shakespeare line counter reel with 25lb mono on it, and that part seems to work well.  I do have several spools of 40lb braid I bought for cheap at the KMart closeout sale, may switch to that if the mono does not allow for the dipsy releases to trip...Thanks for any advice!

14 minutes ago, Fishmaster 196 said:

I use the Shimano TDR dipsey rods for walleye mostly and they work well.  They are only around 30.00 each.  I would suggest using braid instead of mono for dipeys.

Thanks I was looking at those on the FishUSA website.  What action do you use?  The reviews said they run a little on the heavy side...

Also do you need twilli tips for braid, or is that only for running wire?

I use the white 8ft Berkley Big Game rods and braid for dipsys. They are stiff enough to trip the dipsys and no need for twili tips with braid, as already noted. They are just the right length for my 21ft boat with a small rear deck.

0220161027-1.thumb.jpg.3f826ccc410a74cd640cd0ba70e1452d.jpg

13 hours ago, Low Baller said:

Broke a 10'6 cold water in half last weekend. Have no idea what that was about.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Low Baller, you the same guy who busted two Okuma's near Wilson, I think. Or are you, now another guy who has had his Okuma break. The guy I read last week had 2 break at the same spot on the rod. I really like Okuma stuff and had these rods in my hands at Dick's last week.

Thanks all for the feedback, I went to Dick's today and found a pair of 9.5 ft Daiwa Accudepth MH diver rods for $35 ea, after my coupon they were only 56 for both...Gonna go out tomorrow on Lake O and try them out!

• 1 month later...