Help with boat damage

Lineman1

Looking for a little help with fixing a damaged spot on my boat.

Someone ran their IMG_3177.JPGvehicle into the back of my boat. After looking closely at the damaged spot, I see nothing from the inside of the boat looking at the damaged spot. It appears there is no damage through the hull, just looks like the fiber glass got damaged.

Any body guys out there? Should I buy some sort of fiber glass kit and put it over the existing damage before I bring it to the water and see if it does not leak? There is a west marine not far from my house that has a repair kit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't care about what it looks like. Just want it to float lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would use Marine Tex ,about 17.00 on ebay. Not sure how much West will gouge you but if you need it right away then that's your best option. Penetrates and is made for above and below the waterline. Easier to use than gel coat, which rarely matches anyway and IMHO not as durable. Probably do not want the raw glass getting any wetter than it already might be. Just rough it up a bit and apply per instructions. The white epoxy is probably a close match and over time has a tendency fade into a close match

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Awesome thanks! Just watched a video on you tube and the guy used that marine Tex.
I'm sure west marine is going to hammer with their prices but I need to get her fixed asap. Have two trips planned Sunday, Monday..
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would use yellow or blue masking tape just because the original masking tape has a tendency to shred when removing. If you want to finish it flush you can sand it while hitting the tape. Eventually you will sand the tape off. Just try to end your strokes before going on the other side of the tape where the original gel coat is. If you go that route with the sanding then any masking tape will do bc your going to end up sanding it off. I think there is a 24 hour complete drying time,could be wrong on that, so get on it ASAP Saturday. 

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Might want to use the GREEN Frog tape (Walmart etc.) It doesn't allow stuff to get under the edges of it like other tape.

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Might want to use the GREEN Frog tape (Walmart etc.) It doesn't allow stuff to get under the edges of it like other tape.

Yes that green tape absorbed the paint on my prodject and eliminated peeling of the paint when removed. I rebuilt the second rib from the top down, somehow I ripped a section off .    

If someone hit you, why aren't you seeking professional repair at a boatyard? The tab should be on the person that hit you. I wouldn't be doing a patch job myself. unless it's a beater boat.

Was a hit and run while I was paying for gas. Still haven't tracked down the person who hit me, sheriff knows who it is, as a gentleman pumping gas got the plate number.
Don't have time to bring it to a professional and it appears to be cosmetic damage to the outside of boat, did not puncture the hull.
I only have two more weekends available to salmon fish so I figured ide go for the quick fix. Tracked down my buddy who is a professional body mechanic and he's tackling it as I write.
Good to know people.
It will be a hefty bill when they find the person who hit me, as my trailer was damaged too. As well as leaving the scene of an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Shellback said:

If someone hit you, why aren't you seeking professional repair at a boatyard? The tab should be on the person that hit you. I wouldn't be doing a patch job myself. unless it's a beater boat.

I would put money on it was a hit n run. Unless the parking lot has cameras the driver will never be found  Can't even see any bumper paint on the damaged area, so it probably was a pickup...... As I was hitting the post icon the OP replied.  Would like to see a picture of the repair job when done !

Edited by Bozeman Bob

that sucks. especially the fact someone did it then just left . zero morals .  But lucky the damage is just cosmetic. there is ALOT of material in that area. so dont stress. as long as your buddy can get it looking decent and the exposed glass sealed up, you'll have zero worries.

Hey at least it wasn't my new truck she hit!
Small coat of body filler going on now and I'll be fishing tomorrow. Thanks for all the help and advice guys!
I'll post a pic tonight after my last sanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Looking at the picture, it looks like a very nice hull. That's more than cosmetic, it's through the gel coat and into the matting.. Matting will absorb water if the repair isn't done properly. After your temp repair, you should have it removed and a proper repair made. Sure hope you get paid by the person that hit you. I don't like to bust people's stone after an unfortunate accident that they own up to, but if someone runs, they need to be taught a lesson. 

That's the beauty of fiberglass. Easy to repair. You can use the auto body resin with cloth, dries in 20 minutes. Or get the epoxy resin and use cloth. Dries in 24 hours. The epoxy resin has very little smell and had a works time of about 20 minutes versus 2 minutes for the polyester resin. Just scuff the surrounding gel coat to get good adhesion.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app