Seneca 35,000 gal spill

35,000 gal spill

UPDATE: Yates County, Village of Penn Yan, Sewage Discharge, Keuka Lake Outlet East of Fox's Mill Rd, Entered Seneca Lake

Issued August 24 2017 3:04 PM by Penn Yan (V) STP
How Soon

Responsive action SHOULD be taken immediately
How Severe

Significant threat to life or property
How Likely

Determined to have occurred or to be ongoing
Affects: New York - Yates - Dresden, New York - Yates - Milo, New York - Yates - Penn Yan, New York - Yates - Torrey

Summary

Expires: 8/31/2017 1:31 PM ...

Location of Discharge: Keuka Lake Outlet Trail, Penn Yan, NY 14527, USA
Additional Address Info: Storm drain adjacent to Reed bed
Name of Waterbody Affected: Keuka Lake Outlet, Seneca Lake
Description of Discharge: Treated Sludge from Secondary Digester
Potential public area(s) impacted:
The following public areas were potentially impacted:
Fishing Area: Keuka Lake Outlet
Facility name: Penn Yan (V) STP, Facility ID: NY0029726
Date and Time of Discharge: Aug 23 2017 4:00PM
Duration of Discharge: 14.5 hours ended.
Reason for Discharge:
Other: Valve left open after transfer
Volume or Rate of Discharge: 35000 Gallons  (Estimated)
Treated State of Discharge: Partially Treated Without Disinfection
Steps Taken to Contain Discharge: Closed valve, constructed earthen berm on paved surface to contain standing water. Installed earthen coffer dam in receiving ditch and Vacuumed remaining material from ditch with Vacuum Truck

For more information on this and other discharges, visit SPRTK

Yea something doesn't smell right in Denmark, you would think that line would either be capped requiring escalation to someone needing to open or an alarm that flow is happening. For it to run that long??? Minkia

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you have a drain valve and a fill valve for the tank seems like only ONE should be open. If they are automatic easy system to set-up. If they are hand operated then Les nailed it unless he/she was following orders. Then fire the boss....

41 minutes ago, ERABBIT said:

41 minutes ago, ERABBIT said:

unless he/she was following orders.         Then fire the boss....

It is very hard to fire political appointees,so even if the orders came from above,the grunt still gets screwed

Edited by rolmops

Relax, although unfortunate, an accidental spill of 35,000 gallons of secondary digester sludge isn't going to ruin the finger lakes. That stuff is pretty much inert and probably trickled into the receiving stream over a period of time. It's highly unlikely a supervisor would order an operator to intentionally dump sludge into a receiving stream. Stuff happens at work. Unless the facility is a repeat offender I would be surprised anyone would get fired.

Hop

It's funny, in the private sector, violation of a storm water permit can result in 1000s of dollar fines including criminal penalties if intent or knowingly was determined a cause. I get it, the danger to health and environment is limited but a violation was a result, not from Mother Nature, but from ones actions. I could only visualize the DEC response teams response to "easy now boys" it's just accidental... I hope the downstream tenants are not impacted to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, Frogger said:

It's funny, in the private sector, violation of a storm water permit can result in 1000s of dollar fines including criminal penalties if intent or knowingly was determined a cause. 

Publicly owned utilities are subject to fines and criminal penalties for permit violations.