Cayuga help

been putting a hurting on the lakers every trip out but I am having a very hard time catching ll's and bows. any tips other that fishing above 40 ft. I have been throwing mostly bright orange greens and pink small Michigan stingers at them on a three color leas 5 color lead and running too mini Dipsy divers diving about 20 ft all of inline planner boards have only hooked up on one nice landlock this season

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm going to start by saying I have been trolling Cayuga Lake since 1980. In those days my catch was around 40% percent rainbows. We would get smelt by the pails full in the spring with tons of bait for the fish to eat. Introduce Zebra mussels, spiny water fleas, quagga mussels and now gobies and the rainbows have all but gone. If you are in the angler diary program you would see that stocking of Rainbow trout was nearly as high as lake trout but rainbows only made up over the last few years less than 2% of the catch. The last survey they made up 4% so the DEC efforts are improving the Rainbow fishery. The problem I see is that this is at a cost to the Lake Trout. The Lake trout is the native fish to the lake and they do well in the lake for a good reason. Everyone wants glamour fish and for some reason the laker does not get much credit. These fish have been in the lake since the last ice age. For the last 15 years we did not target rainbows and always released them when we could. My point is that we have a wonderful lake trout fishery even with all the invasive.  If the fisherman keep screaming for more rainbows and the DEC keeps reducing Laker numbers we will be fishing in a lake with fewer and fewer fish in the boat. The Rainbow numbers are increasing and you should be happy when you get one but don't expect to get them on every trip.  Wes

I'm not expert on targeting the salmon but do know the ones I have caught this year have come out of the dealer water 60 to 70 ft down. Over various depths. Seem to be right in amongst the lake trout. Been stacking my riggers 1 at 80 with a stacked rod 20 ft above and one at 70 with a stacked rod 20 ft above that. That set up has produced well for me all year for both salmon and lake trout. Oddly enough my dipsey s have been silent this year wich is odd for me. I used to do much better on my dipsey rods than my rigger rods hands down. But this year has been different. Spoons in green and any flasher fly combos have worked good for me. Was out on Wednesday and just for something different I was stacking a 3rd rod on each down rigger 20 ft above my last stack with 75 to 100 ft leads with smaller blue and silver spoons and picked up 2 smaller rainbows that way. Problem being anytime one of the down rods fired you had to clear both of the top rods to prevent tangles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app