This time of the year the, I'm not really sure about the younger kings, but the mature kings their jaws are getting or already are bone hard, and this does pose a problem keeping them hooked. The thinner the wire of what the hooks are made of. Certainly the best triple hooks are needed to hold these brutes, one option and I know some others will disagree as well as agree, the single high end hooks do shine this time of the year as one needle sharp hook will penetrate those bone hard jaws of the king salmon, as less force is used to put one hook deep into the jaw, as it does to get 3 in there.

Make things easy run all st. Owner trebles never have a problem once  the initial hook hit sets in. Still have yet to find better hooks then owners.  I feel like atomik has went cheap on treble hooks, he has certainly switched brands from what was running 10 years ago.  Some kind of Chinese treble now. Doesn't matter as many make there own rigs the way they want.

Seems to me that many fish are quick to come to the surface this year. Many that I have landed and lost seemed to surface. Sometimes it is very hard to keep the line tight when you have 300+ feet of line out and the fish surfaces or even jumps! Makes for an interesting hookup though. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Definitely when they hit the surface. I would have them on for a couple minutes screamin the drag. They just would come unhooked. Most of them not even pulling. I run owner trebles on my meat rigs, some double, some with a single 4/0 gamy in front. They are sharp as hell. I have run double singles but havent hooked one on that yet. May have to rig more of my meat rigs like that next time. Its amazing how much the fish have changed in the last two weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think Pap was right on target. the matures at least have hardened mouths and theirfeeding response may be changing now from feeding actively to taking a swipe at the flies or spoons mainly out of aggression and I suspect sometime they may either grab the lure by a surface other than than the hook such as the leader or even the attractor itself. Years ago  after being frustrated  by "hit and runs" out of Oak Orchard I placed a 4 /0 single hook on a dodger squid combo and ended up catching a major king on the dodger so I'm sure it does indeed happen despite sharp hooks etc.