Autopilot turns wheel but does not turn motor.

garrymny

Hi all, hoping to get some feedback on this weird issue. I installed a lowrance outboard autopilot on my 1982 Grady. The autopilot drives the steering wheel, but motor barely moves, if at all. If I hold the wheel, the autopilot drives the motor just fine. So I installed a lock for the wheel and I am anxious to try it on the water. I spent 3 days bleeding the air and I finally got the air out. I think it is something to do with the my helm pump. The fluid is taking the path of least resistance. Can't read the decal very well but I do make out that it says teleflex, and on the cylinder it says marketed by teleflex. I think it may say syten but the letter t is a funny font . Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I don't mind locking the wheel, just want to know what is going on, and that nothing is amiss. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gary, I'm sure someone is going to chime in on what's causing that. Not sure if you have either the lines crossed or the helm is not working correctly. I would call teleflex. You shouldn't see the steering wheel move from the auto pump. I assume you have the 2 lines from the pump teed into the 2 lines from the helm with a third line coming from the pump straight to the helm?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

There is a 3rd hose to hook up relief line the clear hose did you pull plug on helm and hook up the clear hose back to pump

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes, connected the return line and both pressure lines. Checked and triple checked the connection. According to the auto pilot drawing, I connected the starboard hose to the helm fitting marked "R" and the port hose to the helm fitting marked "L". Even if I had them wrong, I believe the commissioning procedure will account for it. Yes I did that procedure many times. The hds 7 gen 3 software would not allow power steering function to work until you did commissioning. This is a glitch in their version 5, because you need to be able to do power steering for the bleeding, before you can do proper commissioning. But that's another topic.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

UPDATE- Tried out the new Lowrance  autopilot today. Worked perfectly. I did have to lock my steering wheel, but that is ok with me, I can live with that. Must be something about my old helm pump.