Crusader 454 life expectancy?

Sheepdog264

How many hours should a freshwater only Crusader 454 inboard last if it is properly maintained? Iv herd of them lasting 3000 plus hrs In some cases,and iv also herd that anything over 1500hrs. Is high for them. Any input is appreciated. Thx

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know two charter boats and one was over 6,000 hours when he swapped them out and the other is still running strong at 4,000 hours. In these cases 90-95% of the hours are trolling. To me there relatively cheap to buy,3-3500 for a long block vs the price of a new outboard which are outrageous.

How many hours should a freshwater only Crusader 454 inboard last if it is properly maintained? Iv herd of them lasting 3000 plus hrs In some cases,and iv also herd that anything over 1500hrs. Is high for them. Any input is appreciated. Thx

Whoever told you that was woefully misinformed. I've owned 4 454's and put over 6000 hours on all of them without any significant repairs.
My 10M has two original 454 Crusaders with over 6000 hours on each. The ONLY thing I've had to do to them was put new heads on each. Change oil every 85 hours with Shell Rotella 15/40 and don't beat them up and they will last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Shell Rotella is the best oil you can get. Not the same category as a big block gas engine, but I have a Cat C15 twin turbo diesel in my Kenworth and it has 1,590,000 miles no overhaul. Only thing else and I highly suggest it is Lucas Oil treatment in place of 1 or even 2 quarts oil. I replace 2 gallons in the diesel with Lucas. Change the diesel oil in 30,000 miles with filters.

Shell Rotella has been in all my diesels since 1986 and never had problems with it. Very good Advice from Paul!

Money doesn't buy happiness,

but it does buy horsepower....

I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

I took over a set of 454's that lasted until 7800 hrs before overhaul. I know of guys that got 13,000--19,000 hrs out of them. I avoid ethanol whenever possible and use oil with zinc.

19000 hrs that's a heck of alot. What brand oil has zinc it and what are the bennifits of zinc In the oil ?

I would expect the same "life " hours from a SB. Generally speaking the SB goes in a smaller /lighter hull than a BB. So they should be turning about the same rpms at cruise and pushing the same load in relation to there displacement. The only difference I might see is a 4 bolt main vs a 2 bolt but as noted the load difference may make up for that and if not horsed into a planning mode it shouldn't matter.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:00 PM, Sheepdog264 said:

19000 hrs that's a heck of alot. What brand oil has zinc it and what are the bennifits of zinc In the oil ?

Brad Penn 20/50 "The Green Oil" has added Zinc. We do oil changes every 80-100 hours. We put in 4.5qts of Brad Penn and 1qt of Lucas Oil Stabilizer (it's like honey). Lots of guys running 454's on Lake Ontario, but a lot of them are reactive rather than proactive. If you take care of your engines, and maintain them, then there is no reason you can't get 6,000-10,000 hours out of a 454.

36,624.7 hours today on this C15 475 hp Cat. Religious 30,000 mile 15-40 Rotella and 20% Lucas Oil Stabilizer. The 454 will last at least 1/3 of that if taken care of. Tuned before problems start, and run in its peak torque efficiency range without gouging on it continuously for speed.

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

That's what I used in my 7.3 in my F350 crew cab. (Rotella oil) I sold that truck at 300060 miles. I saw the truck last week it has 330600 miles on it. The only thing ever done to it was 2 sets of glow plugs over the years. Still running strong.
Very good oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United