Acorns

Giz9219

My boat is docked right under a tree that is having a very prolific year.  First ten minutes at the dock is getting them the hell off the boat.  Last thing I need is to go running for a rod and find myself in a three stooges comedy.

Edited by pvelyk

44 minutes ago, JakeyBaby said:

Not sure, but my yard I'd like walking on marbles with them and that same goes for my hunting property. Lots and lots of them. Last year on the other hand was non existent.

Same here!! My black walnut tree has never been so loaded, branches are touching the ground, and the hickory nut trees down here are loaded. I think it's a thing like it all depends on your location, frost no frost, higher elevations or lower??

11 hours ago, Frogger said:

Brian you must not of had our spring, last 2 springs crushed us. Past spring it was in the 70's for 2 weeks then in the teens. Bye bye buds. Year before dipped down below 15 degrees when buds started.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's what I'm talking about.  I icefished in very warm temps in feb. then cold in April. 

11 hours ago, Giz9219 said:

Pap i know your in P A but where is everyone else land I'm on the east side of Keuka Lake 10 miles north of Hammondsport? Didn't know if it got that cold here last as spring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We had the same nonsense for weather, hell it was 70 in Feb, just like up at LakeO when those guys were trolling for Browns!! Then it got blue a$$ cold down near O* when it was supposed to be spring with a few snow storms and the waters were so cold not all the eyes spawned yet by the opener. It amazed me it gave any type of tree fruits, nuts. This was/is one of the most wacky weather years I can remember!! I certainly hope this winter isn't as active with precipitation as this summers been.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, Giz9219 said:

Pap i know your in P A but where is everyone else land I'm on the east side of Keuka Lake 10 miles north of Hammondsport? Didn't know if it got that cold here last as spring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm on the east side of waneta lake and its like walking on marbles here tons of acorns an hickory nuts

No acorns again this year ? Why two years in a row? Any thoughts? Thanks Giz

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Giz- I believe red oaks produce best every other year. I am in Eden in southern Erie county- south of Buffalo. Last year we had next to no acorns- this year they are everywhere- the weather may have hit you at just the wrong time? I'm no forester but just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We have soft mast and hard.  Wild apples at most altitudes, grape and cherry.  White acorns and a LOT of beech here.  20 or more years ago we would go with no acorns for 4 or 5 years and no beech for 7 or 8 years. Now for the last ten years there is a mast crop of something evry year.  Way before my time the chestnuts died off.  Then recently the beech big trees started to die half way up and the Hemlocks in a lot of regions are dying.  Now the ash are getting hit.  50 years from now will there be any trees to log.  The funny cane is every where, we all were told to plant those multiflora briar bushes and whistle wood is blocking out the sun lite to the young forming plants???????  You young guys will see a big change.  Sorry a little off target.....jk

• 2 weeks later...

Got to agree with JK. The way stuff's dying is alarming; nature doesn't work through half-measures though. It's all or none, like hurricanes and meteors. We've seen it before with Elm and Chestnut. Now Ash and Pine, next Oak and Maple. And to replace it we have swallowort and garlic mustard...I keep planting, but it's disheartening to see the devastation, particularly here just South of Rochester where there are entire woodlots of dead Ash now.

But at least for one more year we've got a bumper crop of acorns and apples. It's going to make patterning deer difficult.

Seems like white oaks put off acorns once every couple of years. But if you search the woods you're sure to find 1 or 2 putting off acorns. I would rather have 1 or 2 white oaks trees putting off acorns instead of all the white oaks. Makes it easier to figure where to hang your archery stands, at least for the 1st 2 weeks of the season. I've seen deer walk past a standing corn field & not give it any notice to get to a white oak tree putting off acorns.

Red oaks put off almost every year. I don't see deer give red oak acorns much run (a few exceptions, chestnut oak) . They must be a bit bitter. They'll eat them. But usually save them for later after most other options are gone. Looks like red oaks are set to drop quite a few acorns this year.

Around my area we've got apple, crab apple & hickory trees loaded with a bumper crop. Butternuts are spotty. Like someone mentioned earlier walnut trees are loaded to the hilt.

Good luck to all!