Seneca Seneca skunk

Well, took to Seneca (North end) on vacation this week. Went out this morning started at 630 in about 75fow around belhurst marked all kinds of fish mid-range and on bottom. Set up heading south and as the deeper we got, screen went blank. Turned around on the west side looking but couldn't find em. Ran over to high banks area set up heading north in and out but nada. Ran back over to belhurst in about 40fow and noticed a ton of small fish, thought maybe perch but couldn't catch one. Moved in shallower and hooked up w a pike and a few Rockies. The chopped up floating weeds in the north end sucked! All over the place, fleas not bad. First time on Seneca so didn't expect to crush em but damn, couldn't even find em. Took the kids to Geneva state park yesterday, black sludge washing up on beach smelling like .....[emoji90] yea, good times. First day we got here neighbor said pull the boat and fish Cayuga, Dean's cove! Should of listened maybe, now weather looks crappy next few, oh well. Odd tho, waves were going s-n but current maybe n-s? Riggers were really pulling. Don't see many boats fishing here, mainly pleasure boaters.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow! Your report is identical to our experience on Sunday including the lamprey stuck to the downrigger weight. One of the LOU members and I started from the same spot at the north end and trolled to Kashong up the west side with 2 riggers with sliders, a 300 copper a 250 copper, and two dipseys ....nothing.Marked very little other than a few small bait pods up high and a very few fish at about 40-60 ft. over whatever. Trolled across to Sampson....nothing... then trolled back to the high banks and  one huge hit on one of the three Seth Greens we had out just as we were quitting and as soon as the rod was picked up...gone. Weeds everywhere and very frustrating. The sewage mess you noted was probably  the 5,000 gallons of sewage that ended up in the lake at the north end from the treatment plant there. That dark sludge is also out in the area near Willard-Lodi by the way and evidently a result of the 35,000 gallon sewage spill down the Keuka Outlet that was recently reported. It was the worst shape I've seen the lake in my lifetime and very discouraging. The lamprey by the way was about 1 1/2 to 2 ft long and he escaped my fillet knife by a millisecond or otherwise he would have been two hallves of one.:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Thats a bummer. I trolled for about 4.5hrs last week mid-lake and had one sub legal salmon to show for it...  It is not prime time trolling on Seneca right now.  On the upside I did find some decent smallie fishing.

Hopefully in 2-3 yrs the bait numbers will drop, lamprey #s will drop and there will be some larger hungry fish.  The fingers sure seem to cycle and Seneca is in a down cycle fishing wise for sure.

Hey semperfi, could have been the weather too. Know it was nice, but I had real slow fishing on owasco yesterday too. Have had a real good silver bite going and it all but stopped for me.......even bait disappeared, many areas blank......caught little lakers,  up high, and when I catch them and no larger ones, I know something is up with the weather. On a second note......temp has been real deep in my lake, in one area the break didn't show till I was down past 55 feet. Hard northwest blow aught to muster something up.......give it another chance, that lake has big fish in it.......try to target rigs up high....35-40 ft down with free sliders, you might get that surprise big brown or rainbow....or bass. usually I'd say be patient cause upper column fishing can be slow.......but it sounds like lower column fishing was slow......good luck