Atomic hooks

Atomic hooks

Myself and at least 4 other boats that I talk with and fish with have had the hooks bend or break on the atomic flies. I would like others experience and suggestions with this issue. There is no way we are the only ones experiencing this. Last evening I landed a king in low 20's and we had to tie on another hook because it bent. I took my time with this fish. I love Toms stuff and believe its the best for lake O. I am thinking there has to be a better way to go for the hooks. 

• Like 1

He is aware there was issues. He has a new manufacturer of hooks he used. Give him a call he will explain it and help you. Problem is with quality control at owner hooks I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks guys. Have spoke with him and he said he has not had a treble bend or break this year. I have bent them with pliers before and take care not to ruin the hook. Many fish this year have bent the hook for sure. Have lost several this season where I brought it in and the hook was bent. Also had at least one break last season and several this season. Sucks when you pay 7.99 for a fly and the hook breaks and you lose a fish. I shouldn't have to put better hooks on my flys and retie everyone I buy! 

The issue sure points up something that should reside in every lure and hook buyers mind before purchase  The most common concern of fishermen is usually the sharpness of the hook but the strength of the metal comprising itt is not changeable after manufacturing and  is determined by the hook diameter, composition of the metal and the tempering of it. If you take a look at the "old school" J plug hooks for instance you'll realize that they are very hard, thicker, and look different thickness wise than most of current hooks being used. They are beefier, composed of a different mixture of components or alloys in the steel, and harder than most of the 'fine wire" type hooks now available.  The Mustad stainless steel single siwash salmon hooks although having a different look have the similar hardness feature and they will only when under very extreme tension break rather than bend. This is related to the hardness factor. The metal for these hooks is tempered during manufacturing to give them this quality in very specific ways and the diameter of the shafts and hook points combined with this give them increased strength and also make them more brittle so they don't bend. These hardened hooks can be more difficult to manufacture, sharpen and probably add to the cost of manufacturing as well as expanding the retail price so often other less expensive options are often used now days. Under usual circumstances these "softer"  hooks may perform  adequately but especially at this late point in the king season this softness shows up because of the hardening of the mouth area of them combined with the ferosity of their strikes..Suggestion: replace questionable hooks with triple XXX (hardened) hooks.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...