What Fillet Knife Do You Use On Large Salmon/Trout?

What Fillet Knife Do You Use On Large Salmon/Trout?

I'm curious to hear what fillet knives everyone uses on their large fish. A 7" fillet knife is ok for smaller fish but on bigger fish they just don't seem to "cut" it.

List which knife you use, whether it is electric or not. Thanks for your feedback!

I keep two knifes on the boat and a sharpener.

Dexter Russell S138PCP Sani-Safe Wide 8" Fillet Knife

Update International KP-10 High Carbon Stainless Steel Cimeter Knife, 10-Inch

Update International (KP-10) 10" German Steel Cimeter Knife00011573.PNG.png

At the time both together cost under $35 on Amazon and have held up really well and between them handle all the different size fish we decide to keep.

Edited by pvelyk

11 minutes ago, pvelyk said:

I keep two knifes on the boat and a sharpener.

Dexter Russell S138PCP Sani-Safe Wide 8" Fillet Knife

Update International KP-10 High Carbon Stainless Steel Cimeter Knife, 10-Inch

Update International (KP-10) 10" German Steel Cimeter Knife00011573.PNG.png

At the time both together cost under $35 on Amazon and have held up really well and between them handle all the different size fish we decide to keep.

Those knives look like a good choice, thanks for sharing!

Forschner 12" Cimeter Knife. Best I've used. Hundreds of fish later and still holds an edge as new. Perfect size for larger salmon and filets easily

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

7 inch is all I've ever needed on any size salmon. Butterfly method of fillet is all I do. Not everyone wants to spend the time, but if you want boneless and no guts spilled on the meat, it makes the meal taste much better. 7 inch Dexter Russel, and A very flexible 7 inch shrade for skinning and pin bone removal

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

Thanks skipper19. A 7" is all I've ever used too, because that's all the local stores sell. The last knife I bought has worked well all year, it's a 7" KVD.

55 minutes ago, skipper19 said:

Edited by Todd in NY

I use both the large Victorinox and the Dexter-Russell for salmon (when or if I keep them:)) and a 7 inch Rapala for smaller fish and I frequently sharpen the Rapala. The electric is reserved for perch and walleyes.

Edited by Sk8man

I also avoid the fatty areas near the spine and belly because that is where most of the potential contaminants are stored and I remove the greyish lateral line material as well during the filleting as it is an area where the strong taste comes from. Bleeding the fish soon after catching them also helps reduce the strength of the taste.

Edited by Sk8man

The North Pacific Commercial salmon trollers have a drain box on the stern of their boats to drain the blood away before they clean and ice their catch. They receive top dollar for their salmon with excellent handling of their catch. They bleed, clean and ice their catch as soon as it is landed.

The North Pacific Commercial salmon trollers have a drain box on the stern of their boats to drain the blood away before they clean and ice their catch. They receive top dollar for their salmon with excellent handling of their catch. They bleed, clean and ice their catch as soon as it is landed.

I hang all my fish over the side and gut them before they go in to the fish cooler. Mainly to make filleting on newspapers at camp cleaner. I have ropes with 2 loops to help facilitate this.IMG_20170803_090227031.jpg

Sent from my Moto G Play using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use the Williamson marttiini 12" knife. It's a cheap knife, only cost me around 25 bucks. I've had it for 2 years and only sharpened it once. I own a charter so it's cut up a lot of fish I'm blown away by the quality for the price