Wanting to upgrade electronics

Just some general advice here... Whatever you get, get the touchscreen version and the largest screen size you can fit and afford.  Touchscreen especially if you're used to using a smartphone!   I got the Lowrance HDS7 (love it!) but not the touchscreen, and I still instinctively try to touch the screen to work it, rather than the buttons.   Hindsight....I should have got the touchscreen! :)

4 hours ago, markmonkey1 said:

Just some general advice here... Whatever you get, get the touchscreen version and the largest screen size you can fit and afford.  Touchscreen especially if you're used to using a smartphone!   I got the Lowrance HDS7 (love it!) but not the touchscreen, and I still instinctively try to touch the screen to work it, rather than the buttons.   Hindsight....I should have got the touchscreen! :)

I fully uderstand! Sometimes when I jmp in my friend boat with a older Lowrance with buttons I'm always touching the screen! 

With the Gen3 and the Carbon you are getting wifi, sonarchart live on screen, bluetooth, you can mirror you're screen on a tablet or a phone, CHIRP , autopilot integration and much more.

I've been a Lowrance guy all my life, until I bought this last unit, I'm not going to bash Lowrance, but the headaches this unit has caused me to eat a whole bottle of migraine pills, their instructions suck, with having to push and hold theses buttons down with your 3rd arm hit this and that should get you back to the home screen, now with the touch screens it might be differant?? But do your homework and if I had to do it over, I'd have me a differant unit, I wanted down scan, so I could see structure below me, if I'm in the rocky bottom and marking fish, they could be what I'm after. My unit is on DownScan and sonar while my gps is a stand alone unit. So for me I'd have to go with my gut and that would be the helix.