Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

I have gone to small log binders and chains on every stand instead of ratchets. I too had a friend leave the same straps on for multiple years and ended up getting dumped from 18 ft. Got lucky with only a dislocated shoulder, but it could have been much worse, he just missed a protruding branch that was driven in the ground. That would have been lights out.

I just saw you can't use crossbow in 8C, I don't own one but don't see the reasoning behind it. Also tossed the idea of buying one for my north greece spot to use during late season,good thing I didn't

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well mother nature kept me off the lake today so plan b was to get in the woods. Ever since I saw that big buck a couple weeks ago I've been trying to devise a plan of attack. Of course I show up late morning today and he's in the field along with another big buck and a flock of does. I drove my truck right to the clump of trees I was hoping to hang the stand, so that was a bonus. Perfect spot but less then perfect tree. Hung the stand, did some quick trimming, hung a camera, and got out of there. Can't wait!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What kind of a stand did you hang, Rob? I recall that there's some now where you can make leveling adjustments after hanging them, which could make up for a less than perfect tree. We've moved entirely to ladder stands and I can't say enough good things about Millennium. I have a bunch of 22' L110. It's a double ladder so there's no bar to the tree and the platform extends all the way back so you can tuck in tight. And the seats are unparalleled. They're a little pricey, but not horrible compared to other quality stands.

Off to plant a couple dozen trees today and hang a couple more cameras. For those interested, Pine Mountain Archery is blowing out Browning cameras, the old BTC1-XR model. They're reconditioned (8 GB, 60 ft flash, 0.67 s trigger speed), but for ~$40 apiece on ebay it's a no-brainer.

What kind of a stand did you hang, Rob? I recall that there's some now where you can make leveling adjustments after hanging them, which could make up for a less than perfect tree. We've moved entirely to ladder stands and I can't say enough good things about Millennium. I have a bunch of 22' L110. It's a double ladder so there's no bar to the tree and the platform extends all the way back so you can tuck in tight. And the seats are unparalleled. They're a little pricey, but not horrible compared to other quality stands.

Off to plant a couple dozen trees today and hang a couple more cameras. For those interested, Pine Mountain Archery is blowing out Browning cameras, the old BTC1-XR model. They're reconditioned (8 GB, 60 ft flash, 0.67 s trigger speed), but for ~$40 apiece on ebay it's a no-brainer.

I use inexpensive field and stream ladder stands from dicks sporting goods. I prefer ladder stands over all others. These are light enough that I can set them up myself and move them myself.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Spent all day in the woods yesterday checking some of the stands and mowing / clearing all the trails. When I got to one of my stands I discovered the whole tree is covered in poison!! Not sure what to do at this point...... any ideas on how to really kill this since I'm not able to reach the stand to even remove it with out getting it all over me!

20170910_140808.jpg

7 hours ago, JakeyBaby said:

Spent all day in the woods yesterday checking some of the stands and mowing / clearing all the trails. When I got to one of my stands I discovered the whole tree is covered in poison!! Not sure what to do at this point...... any ideas on how to really kill this since I'm not able to reach the stand to even remove it with out getting it all over me!

20170910_140808.jpg

I am not terribly allergic to poison ivy however i seem to get it every year while hanging stands. The solution... cover yourself from head to toe in clothing. pants, long sleeves, gloves. Start by cutting at the base of the tree and start pulling. It sucks but its necessary. 

Just purchased a Blackhorn 209 breach plug for my Muzzleloader, can't find anywhere local that actually sells the Balckhorn...... and ordering online they want to charge a fortune to send it out. Anyone know where I can find some?

If you simply cut ivy vines they'll return with a vengeance. After you make the first cut at the base of the tree, use a school kid's glue brush applicator to "paint" the cut end with either Tordon or Roundup Poison Ivy Brushkiller. Wear latex or rubber gloves to pull down the vines, then either bleach them or throw them away. I can't believe that you got ivy that size in a single year. That's just crazy.

6 hours ago, JakeyBaby said:

Just purchased a Blackhorn 209 breach plug for my Muzzleloader, can't find anywhere local that actually sells the Balckhorn...... and ordering online they want to charge a fortune to send it out. Anyone know where I can find some?

Try Augies on Ridge Rd Matt.  I got mine there last year.  There was a shop in buffalo that was carrying it also.  They had it all season last year.  I got another container of it during gun season. 

12 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Try Augies on Ridge Rd Matt.  I got mine there last year.  There was a shop in buffalo that was carrying it also.  They had it all season last year.  I got another container of it during gun season. 

Wow. He is still open???