Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

On 10/5/2017 at 11:20 AM, BenFishin said:

My dad and I both got lucky within the first hour of opening day on the family property in Honeoye NY, unit 8N. My first buck with a bow and one of my dad's largest archery bucks! Been watching his buck on our trail cams all summer, very cool to see it come together and lay hands on the one we have been drooling over!

Dont forget to enter the photo contest!

My buddy just saw an ad on Craigslist for a processor North of 104 on Rt 19 that advertises refrigeration, obviously a plus with this weather. The phone number corresponds to Mank's Farm Market. Has anybody used them for processing and what's your take? Please feel free to pm me.

I second the guy on walker, I've taken deer to him over the past two years. Always very happy with his cuts and amount of meat returned. I also had him make sausage that was also good.

I've also had two friends use manks who had very bad experiences, one had a hair packed in with the meat. The other had jerky they made which tasted like a combination of old boot leather and salt. Maybe others have had better outcomes

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

October 8 pm
70 degrees
Sw wind 5-8
Cloudy skies
Skipped the am hunt due to the monsoon that came through. Back at it this afternoon. Lots of deer in the three different fields surrounding the property tonight. 20+ deer tonight. Does fawns small bucks.

IMG_20171001_074046344.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I normally sit quietly and read this hunting blog all season long.   This year I’m lucky enough to post something.   Sat 10/7 I sent my wife to get her nails done as that gave me a free night to hunt.   Catch is that this is one day before the expected due date of our 3rd child (10/8).   As of now we are still awaiting the birth.   I hunted Bristol in a stand that has been very active leading into the season  with lots of trail cam pictures.  As I sat eagerly and awaited a phone call of labor.... I was lucky enough that night to take the buck we have been watching all summer.   I hunt hard all season and sit all day long on my hunts as you just never know what may walk by. 5C97201E-15DE-4B19-8984-9DF1E79051D8.thumb.jpeg.5a5f481185ad2326358637dde3aa68cd.jpeg   The warm evening hunt  ended with a nice BCEAA447-D3C8-4EEB-A113-6A6BAF5E84B2.thumb.jpeg.66a4eefe0937ea98066860de6a18502a.jpegpresent to daddy.   

I'll stick by my guns (pun intended) that if you've patterned a buck over the summer, you have a decent early season shot at him.

Nice job! And good luck with your impending doom...I mean third child :P. Actually, they say two is four times as hard as one, but three is only half again as hard at two. I'm not a math major, so I'm going to interpret that as, "it's not any harder".

The flip side of early season is that if your cameras are bare of any quality animals in August and September, it's unlikely that you'll have one magically show up in early October. That's my situation...does and scrubs all day. One decent buck on camera. But between October 15 and the end of November I'll have two dozen different shooters show up, as we're in a major travel corridor. I wish I could attract the summer deer, but between the large sanctuary across the street and our use of the property during the summer, it ain't happening.

Finally, thanks for the tips on processors. I've used Jay on 259 by North Chili for years with zero issues, but he doesn't have refrigeration...having been said, he usually cuts it up within an hour of drop off this time of year and it's into the freezer. The one downside is that the meat takes longer to freeze and can sometimes saturate the meat wrapping paper so that the different cuts stick together when frozen. Minor problem at best.

Congratulations TBoo on a very nice buck, and on soon becoming a father of 3.  My wife and i are expecting our 3rd on November 6th.  Unfortunately there are some concerns that will require a couple of major surgeries when he is born (all done through an open chest procedure).  We have to be at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore for the birth and surgeries because of the specialized equipment required.  I'm most likely going to miss all of gun season this year as our expected stay could be as long as a couple of months.  However, some things in life are more important than being in the woods, and i'll gladly sit this season out in order to bring home a healthy baby at the end of all the chaos. 

Nice buck Todd! Get it mounted and we can hang it at the Cottage next to my musky! We can then take sisters wood art deco thing and use it as a backdrop.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United