Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

Haven't been on here much ( couldn't figure out my password and it wouldn't reset) but been seeing quite a few deer a lot of smaller bucks! Shot a big doe on the 3rd day! And couple buddies have put down some nice ones so far here in Wayne county. One scored 153 and one scored 139! And pic of the one we got on camera thats hitting on of our food plots just waiting for him to show during the day!FB_IMG_1507553917419.jpgFB_IMG_1507553924053.jpgIMG_20171006_103739684_HDR.jpg38949.jpegIMG_20171004_111050273.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Gator said:

I'll stick by my guns (pun intended) that if you've patterned a buck over the summer, you have a decent early season shot at him.

Nice job! And good luck with your impending doom...I mean third child :P. Actually, they say two is four times as hard as one, but three is only half again as hard at two. I'm not a math major, so I'm going to interpret that as, "it's not any harder".

The flip side of early season is that if your cameras are bare of any quality animals in August and September, it's unlikely that you'll have one magically show up in early October. That's my situation...does and scrubs all day. One decent buck on camera. But between October 15 and the end of November I'll have two dozen different shooters show up, as we're in a major travel corridor. I wish I could attract the summer deer, but between the large sanctuary across the street and our use of the property during the summer, it ain't happening.

Finally, thanks for the tips on processors. I've used Jay on 259 by North Chili for years with zero issues, but he doesn't have refrigeration...having been said, he usually cuts it up within an hour of drop off this time of year and it's into the freezer. The one downside is that the meat takes longer to freeze and can sometimes saturate the meat wrapping paper so that the different cuts stick together when frozen. Minor problem at best.

Agreed. If they aren't there then you can shoot them. This is where cameras are huge. We can all scout but cameras imo seem to be a much better way to take inventory of the deer around. Some bucks may be good at avoiding the cameras, so the right location is a must. I have a camera over a community scrape that i found by accident last year. Although not once did a buck visit that scrape while i was in the tree and only twice all season did a buck visit that scrape during daylight hours, it did show me what was around. I have one very hot camera in a spot that i found in the offseason and i have seen 2 different good bucks from that set already this year. One of those 2 bucks i have seen twice while the other just once. As a surprise to many all three sightings have been in the morning between 745-830. Im gonna try to be in that exact spot again tonight!

Been wanting to hunt a particular stand of mine but the wind has been wrong. Finally get northwest wind and the area in many spots is two to three inches under water.
Will that keep deer from moving through? Oh well, I’m here.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm much later then I wanted to be but better late then never. Hunting over clover and chicory again for my 2nd sit of the year. It's on the most SE corner of my property, so with this NW wind I can get in and out with disturbing the guts of the property. Not to mention this stand proves to see alot of deer so who knows.

Anyone seen or have any success calling in deer yet? Estrus can or grunt tube. I had two 4 + year old ( mainframe 8 and the other 10) pass just outside my distance. They followed one another. I Tried grunting them in and they could care less. Stopped, paused and just continued to walk away .....

3 hours ago, bout time said:

Anyone seen or have any success calling in deer yet? Estrus can or grunt tube. I had two 4 + year old ( mainframe 8 and the other 10) pass just outside my distance. They followed one another. I Tried grunting them in and they could care less. Stopped, paused and just continued to walk away .....

October I usually leave the grunt tube in bag until the last weekend.  This time of year they are bachelor'd up and sparring so I use the snort wheeze for bucks and use a fawn bawl for does.  Both made with my mouth....you don't need to spend money on additional calls.  

13 hours ago, bout time said:

Young bucks, yes. Mature bucks, no. Certainly doesnt mean you dont try though. Never leave home without a grunt tube.

Lots of deer on their feet yesterday afternoon/evening. I had 12 does/fawns in the field along with 3 bucks. Two young bucks along with one stud short tined thick racked ten point. He bumped the does around quite a bit but was very interested in one. He bumped her around the field for over 30 minutes until she finally left the field. Interesting to watch. 

Hunted a transition area between bedding and food. Seen zero movement until ride home. They were all out in the field across the street. Back in same spot this morning