Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

One scrub buck, one decent 2 1/2 year old and two doe Saturday evening, nothing that looked like they were interested in each other though. It's got to cool down soon. Monday looks great, but then it's back up into the mid-70s for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Gator

I saw two mature bucks on edge of a corn field on my way in today. Couldn't cut them off without spooking them so set up in the woods close by but neither showed. Both had noses down heading upwind. But did find this fresh rub! [emoji33]

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

October 15 am
62 degrees
South wind 5-15
Cloudy
Not ideal conditions at all this morning. Cold front on it's way so the next couple of days should result in decent movement. Limited action this morning, just one small buck annoying a doe in the field.The highlight was seeing 6 scrapes on the walk back to the truck.

IMG_20171015_082941749_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Even though there is a cold front on its way today its short lived. Overall it seems the summer like weather trend is here with us for at least another week to ten days. It looks like maybe the middle of next week we will see that seasonal change we are all looking for. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/hamlin-ny/14464/october-weather/5600_pc

Got down to my camp in Livingston County Thursday evening until this morning..   Saw a couple shooters Thursday evening, but chose the wrong stand to hunt (isn't that always the case)...   More activity over the 2+ days  than I expected given the temperatures..

I am shocked at how much Scrape and Rub activity there is for this early in the season..   I never have seen this much so early.   The 2 big bucks I saw on Thursday evening stopped at almost every tree along a hedgerow and worked the tree and scraped the ground..

I think things are going to get crazy good once the temps drop for good!!

Nice article!
I've never been a fan of introducing new scents to an area of a mature buck, it would be like putting a pile of be dog crap on your living room and thinking no one would notice..
Even if you have the best scents out there they are foreign smells. The only ones I have had success with is freshly harvested tarsals and bladder from a doe.IMG_20141112_093750.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sat along the lake shore tonight just outside of bedding area. I had a group of four does come in she worked her way within 20 yards. I couldn’t pass up on the shot , one for the freezerIMG_8154.thumb.JPG.95e72661fa30918ef7fa8adc4dc6658b.JPG

'Bout Time

Mike

Short hunt last night. I thought I was busted ~6:30 when I heard a snort...got out of the stand to take a slow walk back to the truck and had a nice eight cross the trail 20 yards from me. I don't think I could have drawn without him seeing me, but he wasn't the deer I wanted anyway. I think that the snort I heard may have been him, and I don't think that it was me getting busted. I probably should have stayed in the stand. I also had a small doe feed to within twelve feet of me...it seems a lot more exciting when you're on the ground. We played the head-up, back down to feed, neck-bob game for awhile before I got tired of it and said, "Boo". 

I wish I could have been in a tree this morning! Vacation for the beginning of November, just not sure wether to take the first week with the tail end of October or the first full week in November. Decisions decisions. ......

One solo doe and and another group of 3 doe this morning. They all followed the same trail in but nothing was following them. Watched them for 40 minutes before the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United