Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

Ended up seeing a spike, button buck and 2 real nice 2 year Olds on this sit this morning. Moved to my lease and poped up a ground blind on a food plot. Have a stand right above me but it is real hard getting out with deer in the plot. Hopefully this will help. They have absolutely pounded this clover and chicory in the last week and a half! Had a 2 year old walk bye my location minutes before I got here. Definitely moment later in the mornings and mid day.
20171106_130432.jpg20171106_133224.jpg20171106_132517.jpg

Good luck Matt, if this was golf I’d be winning, haven’t seen a deer all day. Guys pounding geese across the street can’t be helping lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, momay4000 said:

Not by me....I think moon phases and their effect on deer movement is a garbage man-made myth.

Just my opinion

Chris

I don’t buy the moon itself has some weird effect on hormone levels but rather the moon’s effect on the ability to see in the dark. Full moon they run around all night especially in heavily hunted areas or areas near human intrusion. The deep woods spots I hunt in southern tier have a lot more daytime activity activity than my WNY spots in smaller plots. 

16 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

I don’t buy the moon itself has some weird effect on hormone levels but rather the moon’s effect on the ability to see in the dark. Full moon they run around all night especially in heavily hunted areas or areas near human intrusion. The deep woods spots I hunt in southern tier have a lot more daytime activity activity than my WNY spots in smaller plots. 

OK - yes I agree with that (full moon and they're out at 2 AM feeding or avoiding daytime predation) but I feel that it has zero effect on the rut.

Well no news is bad news. We did not find the buck I arrowed yesterday morning. I stuck him at 8am at a distance less then 15 yards. I hit him high and the arrow didn't pass through. (Blue dot in picture below). I watched him run full speed away from me for about 25 yards and then make a 90 degree turn into the brush. He sounded like a bull in a China shop running through the brush and then I believe I heard him go down. I immediately left the woods and headed home. Knowing what I saw, where I hit him, and knowing the forecast I could only hope he was dead where I heard him go down. Around noon it absolutely poured. At this point I knew that our search would be nothing more than us looking for a body in the woods. I returned with my army at 1:30. The woods was now flooded with ankle deep water. The rain destroyed any sign including footprints. I walked everyone through the scenario and it immediately turned into a blind search. To my disbelief we found the arrow. Almost exactly where I thought I heard the buck go down. All signs of blood washed off. Two hours and four guys covered a lot of ground with nothing. I spoke with the neighbor and after we left he spent another hour or so looking also.
It's sucks. It's a tough thing to deal with as a hunter. A clean miss is one thing but to injure the beast we are all after is a while another thing. Yesterday was a tough day. Sleeping last night was also tough. I took today off from the woods to screw my head on straight again. I went through gear and washed hunting clothes. I'm ready to get back to it tomorrow.

A big shout out to dvdegeorge and jakeybaby for playing bird dog and helping me search yesterday! Thank you guys!

IMG_20171105_112403.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nothing worse than that!! It sucks!! Feel your pain. Was hoping you found him. But didn't hear anything and was wondering. Get back out there and hunt!!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Ended up see 2 spikes, a button buck, and the wide 8 2yr old tonight. All deer came in the last 45 mins. Blind must of been ok as the button buck decided to feed on the leaves from brush I used to brush in the blind! Forgot how cool it is to be at eye level with them. I really hope the wide 8 makes it through the season because he could really blow up!
20171030_182252.jpg

Hey Legacy last year in the late muzzle loader season I thought I put the smack down on a wide 6, I actually thought he was starting to go the other way, he looked like a old buck I laid the bead right behind the shoulder blade, my gun has a lot of work done to it it goes off fast, but not that day, I know the barrel rose up some and the buck fell like a rock, all the doe's stayed there, so I took my time to gather up my stuff, left the other deer just mozey off, only to find my buck took off unbeknown to me. I was like what the F happened this can't be. Luckily there was snow on the ground, I crawled on my hands and knees through the thickest scrub oaks I came to the unmaintained mountain rode, he was going down hill the hole time which was good, but at least a mile below my truck. It was getting dark when I got to the rode and there was still blood in his tracks, so I went across the road only 20 yards when I heard I jumped him, I went back up to the road and covered the red tracks. I knew the first road hunter would be on those tracks like a dog. So I made my way back to my truck mumbling under my breath, called my brother in law and at the break of dawn we started, being he didn't have a muzzle loader tag he couldn't help with a gun. Long story short 6 hrs later with blood splatter on the snow and another hunter shot my heart sank till we got up to him, I missed like hell but there was short brown hair we acted like we didn't see anything. The buck was still headed down hill to a creek many miles from where we started in the morning, let alone the area I fired the shot. I spotted the buck trying to make it up the other side of the stream it goes up hard, l went around on the rode and came in from the top, it was a power line and I knew he couldn't wind me while Rodney stayed where he was the deer kept looking our way until I split,  I went along the top just so I could see down where he was I saw him still looking at Rodney, I rested my Cornstalker with a GreenMountain barrel in the crotch of the tree and redid the exact shot only this time old faithfully performed like she always did and I mad a perfect shot!! I heard Rodney hoot and we met at the deer, my original shot was way high, the bullet just nicked the shoulder blades but blew a big patch off the top of the shoulder area. I don't know if the deer really would have died if we wouldn't have persuaded the deer honestly. In the beginning I would of swore I put a much better hit on him and he went right down, plus the original tracks in the snow looked impressive, but the next day we were chasing just specs on the snow. So that's my story, so it's alright to feel that way that's how a hunter with ethics's is supposed to be, the other goons that have arrows sticking out of deer haven't any ethnics and those are the guys that make it bad for all of us. Get in that tree tomorrow and show me a big buck!! Buddy, PAP!!