Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

I've had intermittent chasing on my property in 8G since Halloween, but it seems like in the past few days the big boys have woken up. Just gotta be in the right place...at the right time. Showing up at your stand the same time as a shooter just doesn't work :o.

As time goes on, I've become more convinced that the SINGLE best thing you can do to improve your success is to have low impact entry and exit strategies. Unfortunately, all of this water is making it hard for me to access my best areas without creating some disturbance.

Enjoy reading all of your guys reports and seeing the pics. Down here in DE and SEPA been bow hunting a couple nights a week the last few weeks. Seeing tons of doe and harvested one about 3 weeks ago, but prior to today I had only seen one buck on stand all season so far.

Today left work at noon and was in stand by 130. Pouring rain, but much colder than its been. Did some blind grunting after being in stand for 5 minutes and had this guy come in on a string. 10 yard shot and he only went 10 yards where he stopped and fell over. Pretty decent 6 point (tiny brow tines, not the best pic). But he's got some good mass so I'm happy with him. Tagged out my buck tag for PA. Still have two more buck tags in DE to chase.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season! 
image1.thumb.JPG.7c85002fc0a0cef590ca6524d8fef725.JPG

Cool buck, nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Enjoy reading all of your guys reports and seeing the pics. Down here in DE and SEPA been bow hunting a couple nights a week the last few weeks. Seeing tons of doe and harvested one about 3 weeks ago, but prior to today I had only seen one buck on stand all season so far.

Today left work at noon and was in stand by 130. Pouring rain, but much colder than its been. Did some blind grunting after being in stand for 5 minutes and had this guy come in on a string. 10 yard shot and he only went 10 yards where he stopped and fell over. Pretty decent 6 point (tiny brow tines, not the best pic). But he's got some good mass so I'm happy with him. Tagged out my buck tag for PA. Still have two more buck tags in DE to chase.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season! 
image1.thumb.JPG.7c85002fc0a0cef590ca6524d8fef725.JPG

Cool buck, nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

November 8 am
34 degrees
S wind 5 mph
Partly sunny
Heavy frost, crisp cool morning

Lots of deer on their feet this morning. Most of the activity was before 730. Seen 15+ deer total. 5 bucks (possibly the same buck twice). One of the bucks was a shooter. 120s class buck

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

20171108_100651.jpgleft work early just got on stand. Drove around the wood block when i got here and this guy was standing at the other end from where i hunt. Hes probably about 500 yrds away so hopefully he comes my way. I have him on my trail cam so i know he works this end also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

55 minutes ago, bondouley said:

20171108_100651.jpgleft work early just got on stand. Drove around the wood block when i got here and this guy was standing at the other end from where i hunt. Hes probably about 500 yrds away so hopefully he comes my way. I have him on my trail cam so i know he works this end also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's a great picture. That is the definition of natural camo.

I got my first bow buck Monday night.  The story goes is I played the wind and remembered from a previous sit where the deer movement was originating.  I had my scentlok clothing and ozone closet and a bottle scentkiller for the extremities.  I drove the Atv straight into the wind across the field and placed it somewhere where nothing could see or smell it near where I was hunting and then it was about a 300yd walk down hill (so I wouldn't sweat) to the double stand I had buried neatly with large and small trees which also coincided with an ancient travel corridor which I recently opened up for natural deer movement.

I noticed when I got in the stand that the high winds had placed an old hemlock branch in one of my shooting lanes but decided not to mess with it and make noise.  I would get it when I got down.  Well after about a half hour I hear a doe come by.  I had learned the hard way before that they come behind me and not to peer around the tree because they always see me and bust me so I squinted and pushed back against the tree and she literally walk under neath me.  So now I have a nice quarter away at about 15yds and she has no idea I am there.  Problem was that stupid branch.  I thought I could squeeze one thru -wrong so wrong, in the mud.  So after she left and blew once still never knowing what had happened I removed that f'n branch.  I sat back and waited for a while and rather than be dejected I knew a mature doe isn't usually going to be by herself.  About 15 minutes later, just about dusk the wind just gave that lull it gets in the evening and the squirrels got quiet so I decided to give a soft doe bleat.  I held it differently for what ever reason and ended giving a loud doe bleat.  About 3 minutes later I hear something crashing thru the woods and knew it wasn't a squirrel.  Since I knew exactly where that doe came thru behind me I could get ready to shoot without getting busted.  When this buck came in I got a good enough look to think he was on my list and then I waited for him to step into the opening and then I gave him a "meh" like they do on tv and he stopped and I let it rip.  I heard it hit and he bolted but ran with his tail up so I got concerned  I also never heard him crash and after the earlier mishap anxiety set in.  Fortunately he ran down one of my lanes so I could see his travel about 75yds. 

Not sure what had happened I decided that I wasn't going to look for him right away.  Waited about 20 minutes before I got down and I went to where he was at the point of impact and found nothing.  By this time it gets dark quicker on the side of the hill and all I had for light was my red led flashlight and it gets pretty hard to see blood on wet leaves with a red light.  I decided to go home and make cheeseburgers for dinner like I promised.  So after dinner I had already changed into my work clothes I came back and I am glad I saw the direction the buck ran because it was there that I saw first blood and about 200 yds later found him expired.  The hit was a little high and behind but broke inside.  I never found the business end but soon realized the mechanical blades never opened.  I found the fletch end without the nock inside the cavity.

Points of interest.

It about killed me dragging him out of there.  Not huge but good for my area.  This is the 2nd buck in 4 yrs that I have harvested that had a heeled right broken leg.  I never noticed until I went back to verify it was the same deer in my TC pics.  It was super cool seeing him running down that doe like a beagle chasing a rabbit.  I also saw a bear that I have been wanting a crack at on the way out at last light.

So I have hunted ever since my Dad gave me a bb gun in 1st grade.  I use to shoot bow for fun but never wanted to hunt with one primarily because I had no patience to sit.  Now that I am older and my body is failing, I am forced to slow down. I got into it  about 4 years ago and am super glad I did.  I have to say you can shoot your bow all you want and you can know how to deer hunt but there is and added challenge with deer hunting with a bow that I am still learning.  I feel very fortunate and very blessed for the opportunity.  I have been enjoying everyones experiences on this thread since Rob started it and I normally do not share my hunts but felt it appropriate.  I think there should be excellent activity right now.  Congratulations to those of you have connected and best of luck to those of you still in the "grind".

17  buck hang.JPG

17  buck woods.JPG

17 buckme.jpg

17 TC buck 1.JPG

17 TC buck 2.JPG

17 TC buck 3.JPG