Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

They’re redoing our floors in our shop at work so I got cut out at 315 changed out of my uniform and was out the front gate at about 316 drove to my spot about as fast as I could and basically ran to my stand. Last week when I was up here I️ kind of winged it and made 2 ground scrapes with estrous doe antler ice because that’s what I had. Much to my surprise I got up here today and found 3 scrapes so I must’ve fooled someone.

I also saw a good buck this morning on my way to work at first light cruising and a couple does on their feet a couple fields over. First deer I’ve seen going to work all fall, it’s starting to heat up so I’m not questioning my second week of November choice for vacation as much anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had to work late tonight and didnt make it to thee woods. I saw deer everywhere on my drive home. I mean everywhere. They are loving this cold front. Probably a great night to be in the a tree.

21 hours ago, Gator said:

As time goes on, I've become more convinced that the SINGLE best thing you can do to improve your success is to have low impact entry and exit strategies. Unfortunately, all of this water is making it hard for me to access my best areas without creating some disturbance.

Ive tried to make this a huge part of where I hunt. Every stand I hang I would say that,50% of the consideration is how am i getting there.

All day in the woods today. Saw 8 bucks, 4 doe, 3 button bucks and one big bodied deer that I was unable to see it head gear. Did hear a buck grunting and chasing this evening also but never got an eye on it. This morning had one hard chase. Back at tomorrow for another all dayer more than likely.

what is with all these east winds.  It seems every time i can go out this year the wind is out of the east and my land cant be hunted on a east wind.  Its only less than 20 acres and on the east side of the wood lot.  When i even pull in the driveway my wind is already going through the woods:envy::(:(.  Even yesterday the wind was swirling pretty bad 

I have the same issue with the wind on my lease. It's never what it's says it's going to be. Luckily today it is SW like it's supposed to be for a change. 3/4 of a mile walk in today, would've sucked to get here and have it be wrong. 1st rack and a button buck so far

i guess thats what i get for trying to save my stands till now and not hunt them in october like i usually do.  It seems to have work cause i have 4 shooters on camera but i cant get the wind right to hunt in there.  Saturday morning starts south then turns east by noon or so they say.  Im guessing the wind will have a eastern element to it all morning long

Just had a 2.5 year old 8 pt come on a string to estrus can/grunt combination. He’s going to be a great buck next year if he makes it through. Chocolate brown rack

Just had a 2.5 year old 8 pt come on a string to estrus can/grunt combination. He’s going to be a great buck next year if he makes it through. Chocolate brown rack

Blind call or did you see him?

Blind call or did you see him?

Blind call. My property is in their bedding area with a swamp on 2 sides and food behind me. I sat yesterday for 5 hours and had only one buck -6 pt come in ten minutes after I grunted. So I figured what the hell why not....

'Bout Time
Mike
  • Like 1

This morning I wasn’t in my stand for 2 minutes when all I heard was leaves crashing and sticks breaking. Out of nowhere come 3 rabbits ripping through. I was like WTH ??? Ten minutes later a beautiful red fox come behind their trail nose to the ground. Was different and cool to see

Just had a 2 yr old sneak in behind me when I was taking a leak. Didnt know he was 15 yards until I reached back to put the piss bottle in my bag. Almost #2 myself when he took off and I saw rack! Dead down wind of me, ran 30 yards then stopped to make a scrape and moved on with his search.

Big 8 pt just showed up with a doe. They were just feeding in the field and that grabbed the attention of two young bucks. Big buck has been chasing them off. He also made time to tear up a tree and make a scrape. 100 yards and closing...

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Honesty hurts ..... I’m hunting Northern Zone today with my crossbow to give my shoulder a break ( surgery in feb) from Southern zone bow in which I already filled 2 tags

Well I just had a slammer buck come in behind me. Never heard him until he was at ten yards. I grabbed my xbow ( reverse limb, this will be important in a second) leaned around the tree to get a shot at him. I squared up on him took off the safety and squeezed the trigger. The left limb smacked the tree which twisted the sh!$ out of my shoulder and I smacked myself in the jaw with the buttstock. It was a clean miss as this made my arrow (bolt) go off course.

All I could do is sit in disbelief ( and pain ) as I watched the buck take off ....

Honesty hurts ..... I’m hunting Northern Zone today with my crossbow to give my shoulder a break ( surgery in feb) from Southern zone bow in which I already filled 2 tags

Well I just had a slammer buck come in behind me. Never heard him until he was at ten yards. I grabbed my xbow ( reverse limb, this will be important in a second) leaned around the tree to get a shot at him. I squared up on him took off the safety and squeezed the trigger. The left limb smacked the tree which twisted the sh!$ out of my shoulder and I smacked myself in the jaw with the buttstock. It was a clean miss as this made my arrow (bolt) go off course.

All I could do is sit in disbelief ( and pain ) as I watched the buck take off ....

Ouch and ouch!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome BS. Great hunt, figures the arrow mechanically failed, that would be my luck also!! So glad you waited, great story, and make some good eats out of that deer!! PAP!!!