Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

Shined the light behind my house last night and a descent 8 point was with a doe. He was Soo tired Everytime they stopped for a minute he would lay down and take a break and let her feed till she got too far from him!

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Poor SOB. Hope he gets a little food and rest in the coming days.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So, how did the video turn out?

Those does get thru the woods quieter than chipmunks.  They are on me before I even know they are there.

The videos not even good! Lol I figured with everything going from wet to frozen there would be a little more noise from them this morning.

19 hours ago, machzrcr said:

Sitting here in my stand and i hear some rustling in the creek in looking don't see anything. So i look closer and salmon are swimming by... IMG_20171114_163158750.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You have the best deer stand in the world. I would be too mesmerized by the spawning salmon that deer would be sneaking up on me. 

21 hours ago, Sean Youngblood said:

Went to the same spot where I missed the big bruiser. Bad news is he didn't show up.Good news is his Grand son did.Yesterday I got Buck Fever today the buck got the fever.Perfect heart shot.All you have to do is look for the signs.(yellow game crossing sign in the background)1114171139a_zps1f9dkm9f.thumb.JPG.32dc19a99ed143338f9a3284b3999eb9.JPG1114171329_zps0k5opabh.thumb.JPG.df9f701d51eda32f8b0c0c11e6a82a9e.JPG

Damn nice buck Sean, congrats to your hunt!!! That's no slouch either!! 

Starting to think they’re locked down. Haven’t seen a buck since Monday afternoon and I’ve had plenty of does around.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Saw that for past week and a half. Moved right into the middle of bedding last weekend. That's where the most action all weekend was. Saw some short bursts of chasing and lots of unharassed doe. Gonna keep hunting with a bow as the property gets little pressure.

November 15 pm
48 degrees
SE wind 5 mph
Cloudy

The two giant scrapes that i walk by on my way in, have been untouched for 5-6 days. Both scrapes were tore up today. Crazy amount of active deer this pm around and on the field. 30+ does and fawns. 5 or 6 bucks (2 shooters). A bit of chasing by the young bucks around the field. I had a shooter show up on the far side of the field with a doe around 3 pm. Probably the most deer I have ever seen while hunting. Throw in 9 turkeys (3 gobblers), gray fox, and 50 mallards in a puddle in the field. Great night to be on stand.
2 days to go...

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Went to the same spot where I missed the big bruiser. Bad news is he didn't show up.Good news is his Grand son did.Yesterday I got Buck Fever today the buck got the fever.Perfect heart shot.All you have to do is look for the signs.(yellow game crossing sign in the background)1114171139a_zps1f9dkm9f.thumb.JPG.32dc19a99ed143338f9a3284b3999eb9.JPG1114171329_zps0k5opabh.thumb.JPG.df9f701d51eda32f8b0c0c11e6a82a9e.JPG

Nice Buck!! I see he was an organ doner. [emoji15]

My early bow season’s over. Hunted pretty hard and missed a good one last Wednesday afternoon. 25 yards broadside and I rushed my shot. Horrible. Deer unhurt but can’t say the same for my ego. Oh well, not the first time.

Saw a couple very good deer but nothing else in range.

Had a great time. Saw some cool stuff and enjoyed my time on stand. Can’t say I’m not disappointed but to a larger degree blessed to have had the opportunity.

Key to life is things to look forward to.

16 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

My early bow season’s over. Hunted pretty hard and missed a good one last Wednesday afternoon. 25 yards broadside and I rushed my shot. Horrible. Deer unhurt but can’t say the same for my ego. Oh well, not the first time.

Had a great time. Saw some cool stuff and enjoyed my time on stand. Can’t say I’m not disappointed but to a larger degree blessed to have had the opportunity.

That last statement is a bullseye. Good luck in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake

Great perspective.

Well said!

Sorry about the miss Bill..great attitude! Good hunting to you during Gun!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 minutes ago, Legacy said:

In my opinion this press release is an absolute cop out by the DEC..   Either make a "ballsy" decision and put antler restrictions in place or keep your mouth shut.     I feel strongly that if managed properly, our deer heard can stack up against some of the best states in the country...

6 minutes ago, T_barb said:

In my opinion this press release is an absolute cop out by the DEC..   Either make a "ballsy" decision and put antler restrictions in place or keep your mouth shut.     I feel strongly that if managed properly, our deer heard can stack up against some of the best states in the country...

I am honestly shocked that the DEC would even release the statement. I think they just say the things they think we want to hear sometimes. I get it, the state tries to maintain the balance between hunters, farmers, insurance companies. They all have their own special interests and NY will never manage the herd in favor of deer hunters (unlike the Midwest). I would like to know what the states official management plan is. I would think it is in writing somewhere???

I am not a big believer in antler regulations. IMO, it puts the pressure on great racked young deer (with great genes) and takes all the pressure off spikes and fork horns. In high pressure areas this could change the genetic makeup of the herd over time. I am the last person to believe the solution is more government regulations for anything EVER (but thats a whole different rant). LOL.

Although all of my hunting time is spent targeting mature deer and I would never like the thought of pushing that ideology on anyone. Its a torturous existence. I have absolutely no issue with anyone shooting any deer they choose to shoot. We all have that one neighbor... I have a neighboring farm that kills every set of horns they can. Every gun season they show up as the orange army and nothing is safe. They start their deer drives at 730-800 opening morning every year and push all day long. 20+ guys. Its insanity. But its a family tradition that probably been in place for over 60 years.

Good news is I think the hunter population mindset has changed dramatically. It is easy to see that is very different from last generation or two or three ago. Everyone is a big buck hunter now. We are much more educated (or we think we are) then our fathers and grandfathers when it comes to hunting whitetails. The past belief was to shoot at every set of horns you saw and god save the does. And now there seems to be a growing trend to give small bucks a pass and shoot a doe for the freezer instead. Voluntary restraint. 

I have a pic of a perfect 10 pt.  It gets a pass from me because it is a young 1.5yr deer.  I have it on camera and have seen it in person at less than 10 yds.  I hope it gets smart quick.  This deer has the potential but antler restrictions won't help him.  I am quite sure he will be harvested Saturday because of his head gear and lack of wariness and buck fever - Unfortunate.

It's too tough for people to manage land when the parcels are too small which means a lot more Hunters in some areas.
Say there's 2 200 acre chunks of land .
The 1st chunk is owned by one guy. 2 hunters on it.
The 2nd is owned by 7 different people to make up the other 200. Each has a partner.
So now u have 2 hunters to 200 acres, and 14 to the other 200 ..... Witch do u think will have bigger bucks and more deer? It's not rocket science.
The only thing u can do is make your own decision on what u want to shoot and hope your neighbor follows along

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app