Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

My kid has JV basketball practice at 8am so no hunting for me this morning. I was surprised by the fact that I didn't see one person out hunting on my drive there and back. 

Did a couple drives two days ago on a couple small chuncks i have. And walked one orchard. In the orchard passed on 3 small bucks and fawn. And saw a mature doe but she wasn't in a spot we could shoot. Pushed a small thicket buy my house and 3 doe came out cousin shot one. Next spot is a little 10 acre thicket. Have stayed out of but one day this year. Ended up seeing 9 killed killed one. But had 3 does feeding by me and saw a big matured buck walking right to my buddy so held off on the does and the buck ended up getting by him without him knowing [emoji37]. Going to stay out of there for awhile again hopefully buck stays close he's got it pretty tore up! And hunted one of my other spots to find a gut pile 15yds from my stand... Found out Neighbors shot a 4 pointer..

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This morning was my last sit for the season. In my stand at 645 and at 710 I catch movement behind me in the THICK stuff. I get turned around and all I see is a BIG BODY deer but it appears to be dragging rear leg a bit. I see two tall antlers and that’s it. I watch him for about 5 minutes and could tell something wasn’t quite right with him. I squeezed the trigger and down he goes. One of the larger body sized deer I’ve taken. He had no teeth (1 or 2 ground down) to nothing. Upon closer inspection he was shot before in the rear hip and it exited through his a$&. It looks like this years wound maybe a couple weeks old or so. That explains the dragging of the rear leg

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

Rear leg wound

IMG_0400.thumb.JPG.249ac80c90571ebd41ad76537a600018.JPG

'Bout Time

Mike

That wound does not look that old.  Was the meat green around it? Was there any stink or puss?  If not, it might be only a few days old. The Whitetail's clotting factors work amazingly well.

I too thought 2.5 all season. But have been doing a TON of research the last few weeks on aging and body structure. To me these pics the i got I'd him yesterday lead me to believe he is 3.5. Just a guess obviously as they are tough to age without a ton of history. Neck is wider then his face, back and belly have a downward sway to it, and chest is filled out.

These most recent pictures you have of him are also (mostly) post-rut which could lead one to believe he is younger than he really is. I think you are right saying he is 3.5 right now. Tough call though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That wound does not look that old.  Was the meat green around it? Was there any stink or puss?  If not, it might be only a few days old. The Whitetail's clotting factors work amazingly well.

Nothing green or no puss. The were a thin “sheen” on top of the meat where it looked like it started to heal already.

'Bout Time
Mike