Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

Guys, so I get back to work today and a supervisor told me that he found hunting gear on the west bound ramp of interstate 86 in elmira heights on thanksgiving morning. This is a big forum that gets alot of attention;I heard what is in this tote and I am reaching out to help a fellow hunter who is missing alot of things. Pm me if this is yours or someoneyou know and I can put you in contact to get the tote back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Out for the first time since opening morning due to some medical issues. Sat for an hour and a half saw ten. Seven were this years fawns and three smaller does nice thing was they all were within bow range feeding on beech nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I’ll admit it. With my regular season buck tag filled I have become lazy. Without the ability to shoot at antlers, my willingness to be out there has slowed considerably. With the addition of the 2 deer my son shot on Thanksgiving, the need to fill the freezer is also not there. Sometimes I forget that I live with carnivores and they demand that the freezer is full of fresh meat. Even with the 4 DMU permits in hand the idea that I will just go for the rest of the regular season and stack up some does just won’t happen. (Although I may fill one doe tag over the next two weeks if I get a perfect chance to).

I feel like a quarterback that has been bench for the remainder of the season until the playoffs. I’m sure there is a bunch of you that have filled tags and feel the same way. I want nothing more than to be out there but for the sake of the game its better if I am not. We are past the midway point of the season and all eyes are on the late season.

I have a muzzleloader buck tag that I hope to fill. I have devised a plan over the past few days in how I hope to do that. It's pretty simple. Well the plan is simple, I know the execution won’t be as simple. I have a couple of key locations that I am concentrating all of my efforts on and I am not hunting these properties until then. I’m actually planning on hanging a camera at one of those places just to get an idea of how the herd is using it. Ill sneak in (with my truck) midday today or tomorrow and hang. For the most part it will be afternoon hunts only for 9 days straight unless cameras show me otherwise.

Let me know when it’s late season!

Couldn’t have said it better Rob. I was fortunate enough to have 3 in the freezer which is what my family will eat in a year. I do not have the “drive” that I did earlier in the year. I say I don’t need to go but as I sit home and look outside something tells me I should be in the woods and I feel like Im missing out. I just hung a camera last night on a well worn trail that I’ve seen in an area that will I will hunt late season if I get out

I am biding my time for late MZ as well.

NZ ends this weekend so I can at least do some post season scouting here very soon.

Last year I had my bow and gun buck tags filled by Veterans weekend. That was great but it sucked to miss well over a month of hunting.

Same boat! The best feeling in the world to punch a tag! But once it's gone it's gone! With both my tags filled, my season has been over since! Will hit the woods now then with my bow to try and take a doe or two. And to be honest I don't even want to be put in the spot of having a giant come bye me when I don't have a tag! Not to say I would pull the trigger but, it would definitely cross my mind. That being said most of my scouting over the next month will be of Ohio maps. Decided we are heading there for their late muzzle loader season! Since racks are off limit here I need to travel, and hopefully one of us can punch an Ohio tag! Can't wait to chase bucks again!!

2 hours ago, Legacy said:

I’ll admit it. With my regular season buck tag filled I have become lazy. Without the ability to shoot at antlers, my willingness to be out there has slowed considerably. With the addition of the 2 deer my son shot on Thanksgiving, the need to fill the freezer is also not there. Sometimes I forget that I live with carnivores and they demand that the freezer is full of fresh meat. Even with the 4 DMU permits in hand the idea that I will just go for the rest of the regular season and stack up some does just won’t happen. (Although I may fill one doe tag over the next two weeks if I get a perfect chance to).

I feel like a quarterback that has been bench for the remainder of the season until the playoffs. I’m sure there is a bunch of you that have filled tags and feel the same way. I want nothing more than to be out there but for the sake of the game its better if I am not. We are past the midway point of the season and all eyes are on the late season.

I have a muzzleloader buck tag that I hope to fill. I have devised a plan over the past few days in how I hope to do that. It's pretty simple. Well the plan is simple, I know the execution won’t be as simple. I have a couple of key locations that I am concentrating all of my efforts on and I am not hunting these properties until then. I’m actually planning on hanging a camera at one of those places just to get an idea of how the herd is using it. Ill sneak in (with my truck) midday today or tomorrow and hang. For the most part it will be afternoon hunts only for 9 days straight unless cameras show me otherwise.

Let me know when it’s late season!

Great post - I'm in the same boat. It's funny how the drive goes down the tubes once you harvest a buck.

That being said, it's a ton of fun to still get on stand and hunt with your camera and take some cool pics and video

Good luck late season,

Chris

Nice Buck!

Excellent perspective Rob, I have 2 in the freezer but I haven't taken care of the landowner next door so I feel pressure to do so.  I don't mind eating tags and I do it every year but at least one for her would be nice.  The problem is that this warm weather doesn't help where I am at.  I need the cold streak that comes at Thanksgiving which we didn't get so I am getting the muzzy out and ready for late season.  I really need it to get cold.  Until then I will fish.  If the turf won't cooperate I will get the surf!

Joe

Great buck!!

I’ve only been out once during gun (last Wednesday am) and was coughing so much I got out at 9am.
Busy all week but off tomorrow.
Looking forward to getting out even if movement is minimal.
Would love to get a chance at something to be proud of tomorrow but will be thankful just to get outside.

Great buck!!

I’ve only been out once during gun (last Wednesday am) and was coughing so much I got out at 9am.
Busy all week but off tomorrow.
Looking forward to getting out even if movement is minimal.
Would love to get a chance at something to be proud of tomorrow but will be thankful just to get outside.

Ugg. Fighting a cough myself. Damn cold and flu season. Being sick during hunting season is a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

November 28 am
33 degrees
S wind 5-10
Partly sunny

No deer seen this morning and one single gun shot heard. Cameras are not showing a lot of natural movement from does in the morning hours. Find the hot food sources and be there for the afternoons.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app