Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

13 hours ago, Legacy said:

Thought I'd share this pic...
This was caught on game cam by my cousin's, neighbor's, brother's, girlfriend's father three miles north of my house. Crazy!

FB_IMG_1511990136995.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's probably Mendon, right? A few years ago I had a guy who was vehement about there being cats in Mendon Ponds Park, one of the most highly visited recreational areas around. Sometimes you just nod and back away slowly...

Nice to see you guys have shot some big deer. Not my case. This has to be the worst November i have ever had. Started the 1st week on my 1st hunt. I totaled my truck hiting a buck at 5:15 am. A week later my father in law gets sick. 1st opening day i haven't hunted with him in over 20+. This weekend he gets buried. He will be missed. Now the question how many bucks can 400 acres hold. This is property around mine mostly woods. The reason im asking. So far 2 10pt , 2 8pt , 9pt and a 7pt that i know of. Everything but the 7 scored above 120. When i have been out im not seeing any and all small does.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sorry for your loss Duckman.  I have had a horrible go of it this year too but I didn't have to bury anybody so my heart goes out to you.  I saw all kinds of Deer upto the 2nd week of November and then they all disappeared on me.  I am looking forward to any resemblance of cold weather to get things moving in the right direction. 

Duckman--this time of years it's probably less about holding capacity than about whether there's a good travel corridor in the area. Sometimes very small properties see inordinate amounts of big bucks taken off them because they are natural travel corridors for roaming during the rut. Other properties are located between food and bedding. It sounds to me like there's a lot of traffic in the neighborhood, just not in your particular location. I'm going to hazard a completely uninformed opinion that your property would benefit greatly from some habitat work, mostly creating areas where the bucks can move through without breaking cover. There's lots of good books on the subject, but one that comes to mind is "Whitetail Success by Design" by Jeff Sturgis.

Please just ignore me if I'm off base. And my condolences on your father-in-law.

Edited by Gator

5 hours ago, Duckman1 said:

Now the question how many bucks can 400 acres hold. This is property around mine mostly woods. The reason im asking. So far 2 10pt , 2 8pt , 9pt and a 7pt that i know of. Everything but the 7 scored above 120. When i have been out im not seeing any and all small does.

A quality piece of property will hold a lot of deer. Security cover, food, water, and zero pressure make for a great piece.

2 hours ago, Legacy said:

NYDEC Commissioner Basil Seggos and staff from DEC’s Division of Law Enforcement and Hunter Education Program speak about hunting safety in New York.

Despite a few incidents, glad hunting accidents down. Can’t believe that woman walking her dog was shot at 5:30! I think the greatest cause of decreasing accidents in NY is opening up areas to rifle hunting. Buy a rifle - you put a scope on it - you have a high power scope, you can better identify your target. 

Yep. And a big 8 during bow. He hunts every day and wants a big guy. He’s happy but can’t wait for muzzleloader now.
He will now have to chase steelies and browns for a few weeks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Image1512085655.042939.jpg
Like I said lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Know your target! End of story! No need for a high power scope to determine what you are shooting at. If you can't see it, you don't shoot.

This plus follow firearm safety rules and hunting regulations and it would be nearly impossible to have that type of incident happen.

Know your target! End of story! No need for a high power scope to determine what you are shooting at. If you can't see it, you don't shoot.

Exactly !! Read about the one where a guy shot a brown pickup truck “mistaken for a deer” how the hell do you mistake a pickup truck for anything other than a truck ????