Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

Good luck guys. My time in the woods is drawing to a close quickly. Hoping to punch a tag this weekend also🤞. Have not had tag soup in a while.... hope to keep the streak alive[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had a situation happen to me about 10-15 years ago still puts a lump in my throat!! We used to make a drive on this U shaped piece of woods, and it always produced a couple of nice bucks that either get the pill or go back through the chasers. I was a stander down by the stream where they like to slip out the side, well I saw something shining like a antler would then it would disappear, AAH probably my head playing games, then I see it again!! Now it’s not my head and it’s close to the ground, so crank my vari.xllll 4.5-14 up to 14 I still can’t make out what the hell it is. Soon I hear the chasers this “ buck” in my mind is either bolt away or he’s going to let the guys go by because I could hear the lower guy wasn’t low enough to make it get up. Now the guys are just about even with “IT” it doesn’t move. So one of the guys go down below the stream, cause I told them I think there’s one by the stream I kept seeing this antler looking thing moving but I can’t make it out. So I stayed where I was but now “” IT” looks like it’s facing towards the guys coming up through the swamp, just to watch which way it runs I can’t shoot, it’s to close to the drivers, soon I hear a bunch of yelling the F bomb flying. Here the guy who has a house where the guys parked quick ran down in front of the standers wearing a camo overall outfit and what I was seeing was his gun barrel reflecting!! I F’en near puked, just knowing I looked at a human through a telescope, kept telling myself I can’t identify anything other than what I thought was a antler moving and so low to the ground like it was laying down. I was so shook up I went home and had nice tall ice cold Crown Royal, thanking the GOOD LORD for teaching me right from wrong, I later learned this wasn’t the first time this guy pulled this stunt and the camp master who carries the roster with him, law in PA. If you hunt with more than 5 guys I think that’s the amount, the Pa. game commission fined him on some sort of violation. But lesson learned, how quickly shyt can happen. Since that I’ve gotten even more absolutely positively if I can’t make out it’s entire body that safety doesn’t move. It took about 3 years for me to get passed that shiny thing in the brush, making me pass on bucks because I couldn’t see the entire deer. I know it’s my mind playing games. But that was one of the scariest day of my life. Identify YOUR TARGET before you push that safety off!!!

Going to change it up in the am. Hitting my side yard in 8C. Bow only, small patch of young hardwoods in an ocean of redbrush. Hey, you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 12/1/2017 at 0:59 PM, pap said:

I had a situation happen to me about 10-15 years ago still puts a lump in my throat!! We used to make a drive on this U shaped piece of woods, and it always produced a couple of nice bucks that either get the pill or go back through the chasers. I was a stander down by the stream where they like to slip out the side, well I saw something shining like a antler would then it would disappear, AAH probably my head playing games, then I see it again!! Now it’s not my head and it’s close to the ground, so crank my vari.xllll 4.5-14 up to 14 I still can’t make out what the hell it is. Soon I hear the chasers this “ buck” in my mind is either bolt away or he’s going to let the guys go by because I could hear the lower guy wasn’t low enough to make it get up. Now the guys are just about even with “IT” it doesn’t move. So one of the guys go down below the stream, cause I told them I think there’s one by the stream I kept seeing this antler looking thing moving but I can’t make it out. So I stayed where I was but now “” IT” looks like it’s facing towards the guys coming up through the swamp, just to watch which way it runs I can’t shoot, it’s to close to the drivers, soon I hear a bunch of yelling the F bomb flying. Here the guy who has a house where the guys parked quick ran down in front of the standers wearing a camo overall outfit and what I was seeing was his gun barrel reflecting!! I F’en near puked, just knowing I looked at a human through a telescope, kept telling myself I can’t identify anything other than what I thought was a antler moving and so low to the ground like it was laying down. I was so shook up I went home and had nice tall ice cold Crown Royal, thanking the GOOD LORD for teaching me right from wrong, I later learned this wasn’t the first time this guy pulled this stunt and the camp master who carries the roster with him, law in PA. If you hunt with more than 5 guys I think that’s the amount, the Pa. game commission fined him on some sort of violation. But lesson learned, how quickly shyt can happen. Since that I’ve gotten even more absolutely positively if I can’t make out it’s entire body that safety doesn’t move. It took about 3 years for me to get passed that shiny thing in the brush, making me pass on bucks because I couldn’t see the entire deer. I know it’s my mind playing games. But that was one of the scariest day of my life. Identify YOUR TARGET before you push that safety off!!!

Agreed scary. When I was a young hunter I put a scope on a guy wearing full brown Carhart walking thru heavy brush. Shook me up. People are still ignorant about deer being colorblind. I routinely have deer within 5-10 yards of me sitting on the ground while wearing an orange camo vest. 

24 minutes ago, mink said:

Really, Come on! 

If I'm not wearing blaze orange, I'm fair game?  

I.D. your target, or don't. shoot it!  No excuses...

Mink, in my case I identified my target as a large man wearing brown Carhart and correctly identified him as an idiot and not a deer.  You would probably be safe with me in the woods but the "other" guy with poor eyesight.......not so much.  Listen to the DEC video posted above.....someone shot a brown pick up truck because he thought is was a deer!!  Hunt state land and listen to how early or how late people shoot before/past legal hunting time.  

1 hour ago, mink said:

Really, Come on! 

I couldn’t see anything other than something shiny, like the main beam I saw many of, no I never pushed the safety off, but I did look through a 14 power telescope that sits on top of a 300 H & H mag and that made the shiny object look even more white. Just the thought of that I had a telescope on a human is a tough thing to rationalize. I put it this way for my piece of mind, that azz-wipe was a lucky sole that I was there and not someone else!!

Edited by pap

1 hour ago, mink said:

Really, Come on! 

You're missing the entire point. Put some blaze orange on....no excuses

The statistics put forth by the DEC about hunter orange are that hunters who do not wear hunter orange are seven times more likely to be accidentally shot in a hunting accident than hunters who do wear hunter orange.  What more needs to be said?  The only people I see who do not wear hunter orange during firearm season are the trespassers we catch on our farm.

jperch