Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

This is a great topic and discussion because it re-emphasizes the need to wear hunter orange PLUS it reminds us that not everybody wears hunter orange! So you can't assume that just because you don't see orange it's not a person. Pap's experience is enough to make me look three times, every time. 

The good news is that it's working. Accidental shootings are at an all time low. Take a bow. Keep it up.

here in NY it's not required to wear orange and it should be . basic hunting safety course taught me to treat a gun as it always loaded to keep the muzzle pointed a safe direction at all times  and to identify my target and beyond . these things keep me accident free for 42 years now THANK GOD . 

there was an accident shooting this year here in NY a lady was walking her dog on a trail and was shot and killed the hunter shot after sun set and now is  up for manslaughter charges . he was so pump to take a deer he shot at movement  after legal hours. what was the lady wearing i don't know . to many hunter don't follow the basic rules they were taught . 

There really is no reason why you would not wear blaze orange. I put such little trust in other people and that's my reason to wear it. Last thing I need is someone trying to identify what i am through a scope.

The two trespassers that my neighbor caught last week... no blaze orange. While I was driving home yesterday, I saw two guys on "watch" for a drive with no blaze orange.

Evolution has a way of weeding out the weak. Life is very much a game of playing the percentages. We make choices every day that keep us safe or put us at risk.....turning left at an intersection at rush hour with a yellow light turning red comes to mind. Those of us that have been driving awhile know the dangers of such a scenario as many cars will blow thru the red light and t-bone you. With a car accident you probably walk away from it.......a bullet??.......I don’t want to play those odds.  The buck I shot opening day passed behind me sitting on the ground (while wearing orange) at 5 yards.

Up in my tree, I leave my orange vest on the bottom rung of my ladder. But it goes right on when I get down. If you walking around in brown, it's called "suicide by hunter" AND your a complete idiot for being so Damm dumb and lazy...

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

I wear an orange hat when I hunt by my self and I wear either an orange vest or an orange jacket when I hunt with a group.

I went to some field trials as an observer and there rules were that you couldn't even step onto the property without an orange coat.

The thing that orange might not help with is people shooting at movement,sounds, and at dark.  Buck fever is real and I remember as a teenager how it felt.  I also knew that I had parents that enforced hunting safety and culturally we took it serious.  It starts with the family unit.

Thanks guys!! Lots of dedication, persistence, and hard work. I actually passed this deer at 80 yards bc I didn’t feel comfortable with the shot. I wanted to quit bc of it but just wouldn’t take no for an answer. It was a grind for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well, we just saved the life of one expensive stand wrapped in a vest ! I remember still hunting in the Hi-Tor woods and  maybe 100 yards out, saw brown movement with a white patch kinda flicking around the brown. I was just under a ridge mainly focused on the flat below, and peeking over the ridge every so often just because. With an open peep I really couldn't confirm, so just stayed alert. As I went further on and over the ridge closer to the brown patch, you might guess what the deer really was. Yes, a hunter with no orange anything, wiping his nose with a white hanky, in a stand that was placed just low enough, over another little ridge so all I could see was his imitating a deer with an itchy tail. This happened almost 40 years ago, and I feel just like PAP remembers. WOW ! My dad always said consider the what if ???  and  much later I learned about FMA ( failure mode analysis ) There ya go....that was one lucky Dude ! Stay safe .

Just now, pap said:

I certainly didn’t want to take the emphasis away from what this thread is all about. This is my favorite thread this time of the year!! I literally need to wipe the drool from my chin when I see he World clasd bucks you NY State hunters harvest!! And therefore would like to say congrats to fishman on his harvest of one hell of a dandy buck. That guy looks like he’s got some age to him! Again congrats to your buck!! PAP. :yes: :yes: