Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

Yea it was a bitter sweet season for us in Pa. Wish we had a muzzleloader season, our is a Flintlock season, and bow season opens up Christmas Day and goes for 3 weeks. I think?? I shot quite a few deer with the flintstone gun, you can’t beat these newer muzzleloaders. It’s basically a single shot 40-50 caliber rifle!! To all that put a tag on Congrats to you and the rest of us hold your head high!!! It ain’t over till the fat lady sings:yes: :lol:

December 11 am- late season opener
25 degrees
NW wind 5 mph
Cloudy
Few snowflakes

Beautiful this morning but zero movement this. Lots of tracks in the fresh snow but they looked to be a couple hours old. Checked a camera and it's showing almost no daylight movement since the gun opener. Some deer movement an hour or so before sunrise which seems right. Dusk until about 9pm seems best.

IMG_20171211_075356072.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

26 minutes ago, Hillbillyx-press said:

Hey pap. PA. Flintlock starts the day after Christmas. Good luck.

Well I was close. LOL, I never liked to be late, even if it’s a Doc. Appt.:lol:

December 12 pm
19 degrees
West wind 15-20 gusts 30 mph
Partly sunny

Wow that was a cold sit. Single digits with the wind chill. 3" of fresh snow from last night. 6 deer total. All within easy reach of the muzzleloader. 4 does and fawns, 3 pt, and a 2.5 year old 9 pt. 9 pt was in the cross hairs but lucky for him he got a pass. I'm guessing he's around 110". One more year for him.

IMG_20171212_154914171_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Had to work this am. Got out for a couple hrs in afternoon. Wind was ripping out of west and it was so cold i saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets![emoji15]. Seriously tho.... not a track, squirrel, or bird to be seen. Just falling branches. Hoping things pick up after the system moves thru?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

9 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Hope you have more time to get out and that you get a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

6-2:30 is my normal work schedule so I’ve got 5 afternoons and the weekend to get it done. First accumulating snow in my area is falling now so this afternoon should be nice (apart form the wind:()

Last year when we had that silly a$$ early snow on the second day of gun season, I wore my Frabill SnoSuit the next three days and didn't regret it for a minute. It's tough to focus when you're freezing. And wind is the the worst. Good luck to the brave who venture forth today. I have to work (good excuse), but I will poke out this weekend.

MS is my favorite season. Nice and quiet and usually, at the very end of it, the deer react as though it was archery season. With this cold and snow they should be feeding more often.

X2. Have spot and stalked a good number of deer. Still hunted a fair number as well. Late muzzle provides the some of the most enjoyable and diverse hunting opportunities of the season imho. Fun stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app