Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

I've passed up around 40 does and missed a beautiful 9 point! Tonight I decided to take a doe. 240yds. Old Omega did the job.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Holy smokes...240 yards? That's awesome.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I study and shoot my drops from 150-250. Run all my shots thru my Chronograph. Interesting thing I found was the pellets were shooting at a more consistent speed and more accurate than loose powder.. Just so I know where to aim. At 240 aim 12 inches above back line and it drops right in with an 18-20 inch drop! Basically I hunt a shotgun only area and can't use a rifle.. so muzzy all season. And can take a lot of long shots in big fields and power lines.

I study and shoot my drops from 150-250. Run all my shots thru my Chronograph. Interesting thing I found was the pellets were shooting at a more consistent speed and more accurate than loose powder.. Just so I know where to aim. At 240 aim 12 inches above back line and it drops right in with an 18-20 inch drop! Basically I hunt a shotgun only area and can't use a rifle.. so muzzy all season. And can take a lot of long shots in big fields and power lines.

I'm impressed. That's pretty cool that you are that familiar with your equipment.

• Like 1

December 13 pm20 degrees

West wind 15 mph

Cloudy

Well. I blew a great chance tonight. A little after four I had a 3pt come out of the bedding. A few minutes later walking the same path a good buck walked out of the bedding and stopped dead in his tracks. He knew something wasn't right. He may have picked me out of the tree. Amazing how the mature deer have a sixth sense. After a couple minutes he takes off running. I try to stop him with a mouth grunt but that only makes him run faster. He stops in the field once he gets to the other buck and looks back at me. I rushed to get the cross hairs on him and squeezed the trigger. Clean miss. 90+ yards. Decent buck. 10 point? And the adventure continues.

IMG_20171213_153842149.thumb.jpg.e253cc081c7f72b7cc02adf8f9797aac.jpg

So after blowing this opportunity, I spent the following night and day questioning the shot. It didn't quite add up. The shot felt good. Although it didn't seem like the buck was wounded the other buck with him acted strangely prior to reaching the woods.

I easily found the spot he was standing when I made the shot. Zero blood and no hair. I followed the bucks tracks from the field almost to the woods with no signs of anything.

I left the woods that day disappointed and full of questions. Still convinced I made a good shot.

My next opportunity to hunt was Friday morning. I decided I would hunt the am and afterwards look again for any sign. Originally I thought the shot to be no more than 90 yards but after further review it was more like 125. I walked my tracks from the other day, walked to the edge of the woods, and to my surprise there was my buck, dead. There's a ditch on the edge of the field and there he was dead in the ditch. In my original search I somehow could not see him in the ditch. I assume it was because of the elevation and his location on the downhill side of the ditch that made it impossible to see. If I had taken ten more steps the night I shot him then I would have easily noticed him. Crazy.

After an extensive autopsy I found extensive internal damage. He was on a hard angle quartering away so the entry was beyond the rib cage. Liver, both lungs were jellied, and the near shoulder was destroyed. The bullet must of fragmented and wreaked havoc inside the cavity. No exit hole.

Needless to say I am glad I second guessed myself and went back. I'm just as much happy as I am relieved. Decent 9pt with the muzzleloader late season.

24260.thumb.jpeg.fa3dc75dd60871d1267ec8ad18ef45cd.jpeg

IMG_20171215_082608959.thumb.jpg.653514df4a8e3d9584f70d9400ce7168.jpg

IMG_20171211_095122091_HDR.thumb.jpg.b9355c65d93396351174a22b63ecca52.jpg

gamereport.gif&key=4f9e7f59d49fad4338560fa573a684705b874da4716e00e585966d366f73cebc

Dont forget to report your harvest. Online reporting is a piece of cake.
https://decals.dec.ny.gov/DECALSCitizenWeb/citizenhome.htm

I prefer the online. The phone system was a pain in the butt when I used it for the first deer I shot this year. It was having issues and would not let me complete the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice job on the late season deer everybody.  I filled a tag Friday afternoon as it's getting late and a 15 yard shot was too hard to pass up.  My dog gets just as excited as me when I bring one home from out back in the ole jet sled.  

IMG_2501.JPG

Edited by slipbob

Nice job on the late season deer everybody.  I filled a tag Friday afternoon as it's getting late and a 15 yard shot was too hard to pass up.  My dog gets just as excited as me when I bring one home from out back in the ole jet sled.  
IMG_2501.thumb.JPG.bf5e08ddee23c64a229ab3fab0afbfc3.JPG

Nice buck slipbob!!! Big hindquarters on that boi !!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My season finished today. I wasn't able to connect with the big nine that I was chasing this year and didn't feel obliged to pull the trigger on anything else, given that my buddy shot two and left most of it with us. I spent a fair bit of time in the woods and had a total of 39 buck within range over the course of bow season, along with countless doe. Gun season was a different story, but I felt the need to sit on my property rather than go where I knew I could shoot deer :envy:. I don't regret it one bit. I'm still learning the property. Sitting a full season is important at this point, even when it sucks.

Congratulation to everyone who scored, and to those who played the game but ate tag soup...onto ice fishing!

• Like 1

IMG_2501.thumb.JPG.bf5e08ddee23c64a229ab3fab0afbfc3.JPG

The chicken looks excited too!!!

Thanks for letting me share.

20171217_160755.jpg last sit with the wife trying to get her a deer. We just had a close encounter with a doe but couldnt a good clean shot on her. Hopefully her patients will be rewarded in the next 20 mins or so that we have left. Shes been hunting hard this year with me we just havent had the right shot this year. Shes logged close to 25hrs this season on stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMG_4040.JPGIMG_4019.JPGIMG_3914.JPGIMG_3915.JPG
IMG_4026.JPG

Another great season in the books. Saw a tremendous number of bucks this year and was able to harvest one in the top five on my property along with a nice doe on the gun opener.

Archery season was incredible after seeing one of the biggest deer in the flesh that I’ve ever seen in the woods. I shot lots of videos of doe and smaller guys beneath me which is always exciting.

It was a year of wind wind and more wind, a nice classic November rut, and afternoon hunts that outpaced the mornings.

It was great following along with everyone this year and learning things every day.

Next up will be hanging more stands, planning a small hinge cut, food plot clearing and a new roof on my cabin porch.

Merry Christmas to all of the LOU family

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app