Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

So after further review it looks like the buck I shot this week is a total loss in meat. What I originally thought was the bullet entry hole in the abdomen was actually a puncture wound with internal damage. A second puncture wound was found in the neck. Both looked to be from another bucks antlers and both sights were badly infected.
Both rear hams were chewed on by coyotes also obviously a result from being left for over a day. With all that I'm not taking any chances with it. I'm considering it a total loss.
The only good news was confirmation of a good shot. Near shoulder, double lung.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

December 17 pm
22 degrees
East wind 5 mph
Cloudy

Last chance this afternoon to get my kid out in the woods for the season. We were hoping for a shot at a buck of any size but unfortunately tonight wasn't the night. A few deer sight in the far end of the field and that would be it.

Man that sucks!! Just a few more yards to a recovery of a double lung shot.. that’s got to turn your guts into a knot!! Sad feel bad for ya Bud!!! On a brighter note, maybe it was ment to be, first off you don’t really want to eat the meat if it was green from infections, plus those damn dogs eating the azz out, seems like when ever a deer lays overnight. Did you keep the horns?? Sorry to hear your sad story. The biggest buck I ever shot went to pull the hide off and the yellow/green smear ran out:puke: all I got was the head mounted. Arrow in the ass, buck shot pellets and a 223 pill lodged between the front blades. So ya I feel for ya!!

Edited by pap

So after further review it looks like the buck I shot this week is a total loss in meat. What I originally thought was the bullet entry hole in the abdomen was actually a puncture wound with internal damage. A second puncture wound was found in the neck. Both looked to be from another bucks antlers and both sights were badly infected.
Both rear hams were chewed on by coyotes also obviously a result from being left for over a day. With all that I'm not taking any chances with it. I'm considering it a total loss.
The only good news was confirmation of a good shot. Near shoulder, double lung.

Sorry to hear that. On one hand it might be considered the humane thing to do- dispatch a terminally injured animal. However, it is a lot of work to harvest a deer and have it be a total loss. Regardless, i guess its not easy being Big Buck of the woods. Best of luck on the rest of ur outings.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's got a name but father in-law doesn't know the name. Walked down the gully half way down walked up on a bedded 6 pt . Double lucky no buck tag and don't know how the drag out is down there. I moved away from that work area.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

December 18 pm
38 degrees
SW wind 10-20 mph
Cloudy

A few deer started moving just before 4pm but it wasn't until after dusk that they really started to move. At least 15 deer seen and I can only confirm one set of antlers. Never had a good shot at a big doe. I hunted from the ground and seven of them past right by my stand. Of course. I have had a camera there since the last day of gun season and it has a ton of pictures of deer in the field. One more chance at it tomorrow.

IMG_20171218_181931385.jpg

IMG_20171218_181844609.jpg

Tonight was my last sit for 2017 N.Y. deer season! Ended with only shots at first racked bucks. Was a fun season,learned a ton, at was lucky enough to put a few deer on the ground. Congrats to everyone who put tags on deer wether racked or not! Will be back at it 2 weeks from now in Ohio and can't wait!