Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

I am planning on tomorrow but I learned today that my heart isn't in it.  I passed on one Saturday about 15yds and a 5 pt today about 60yds.  I think it is the work the comes after that is making hesitant.  Of course both deer are good passes.

LOL. Indeed it is all fun and games till u pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Very fortunate to sit over new land I have wanted to hunt for the past 15 years, a real holy hole. Belongs to an old frat brother of mine. First sit last week I counted 20 does and passed on a shot. Yesterday, sat for 5 minutes, saw my first doe another five minutes and two twin bucks show. Got a nice shot at a 7 point and down he went. Another couple minutes and four more does show up at 50 yds. 

I think I owe my friend a good bottle of whiskey at the very least.

Congrats Pequod! And congrats to everyone else that punched a tag this year. Along the lines of what BSmaster said the second half of this season my heart just wasn’t in it at all. I even went out and bought a brand new muzzleloader last Monday to extend my season got it sighted in and then found every excuse not to go out. I never really got a glimpse of anything better than a questionable shooter and I let him walk last week of bow season. Also lost a couple hundred acres of great hunting ground and figured I could work through that but it’s hard to stay pumped up to hunt while you’re pounding the same 3 small tracts of land. A lot of my buddies have switched to primarily waterfowl hunting over the last few years and with the limited hunting land left available without driving 3-4 hours out west I’m starting to wonder if I shouldn’t do the same. I’m sure on October 1st 2018 my mindset will be completely different though.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So here is the bullet that I shot my muzzleloader buck with. It went through the near shoulder and poked a pin hole through the hide on the far side. (same exact thing it did to my buck last year). So it didn't quite pass through. As you can see there is no mushrooming. No fragmenting. It's practically reusable. T/C shockwave 250 grain 100 grains of 777
Thoughts?

IMG_20171219_082457758.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've shot the yellow tip shockwaves forever and had awesome success. I did start with 100 grains powder and was very dissapointed in what they did but bumped it to 150 grains and never looked back. I will have to see if I can find any bullets but perfect mushrooms on ones I recovered and even on a couple of my 200+ yd deer were devastated and had a pass thru.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Legacy said:

So here is the bullet that I shot my muzzleloader buck with. It went through the near shoulder and poked a pin hole through the hide on the far side. (same exact thing it did to my buck last year). So it didn't quite pass through. As you can see there is no mushrooming. No fragmenting. It's practically reusable. T/C shockwave 250 grain 100 grains of 777
Thoughts?

Expansion is dependent on bullet velocity. There's no comparison of a muzzle bullet and let's say a .270. Not sure how far your shot was, but at 200 yards, the muzzleloader's velocity is probably in the 1200-1400 fps range

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

Thoughts?

What damage was done to the internal area/organs in the area of the shot? I am not a fan of high metal consistency bullets. I shoot a Speer Big Game bullet out of my .257 Roberts Ackley Improved in .120  grain and I have only had one pass through this year mostly due to the fact that I shot the doe in the neck. It did break the spine and she dropped like a sack of potatoes, but if I saw this in the carcass, I would be very concerned if the chest cavity was not basically a complete liquefied mess.

Just now, Nittanyfisher said:

What damage was done to the internal area/organs in the area of the shot? I am not a fan of high metal consistency bullets. I shoot a Speer Big Game bullet out of my .257 Roberts Ackley Improved in .120  grain and I have only had one pass through this year mostly due to the fact that I shot the doe in the neck. It did break the spine and she dropped like a sack of potatoes, but if I saw this in the carcass, I would be very concerned if the chest cavity was not basically a complete liquefied mess.

destroyed near shoulder and complete annihilation of the lungs.

Do you think that it was tumbling when it hit? That might explain the no-mushrooming but very hard to believe since it was found just under the hide on the other side with the point still intact.... I think that you might have a ton of metal in those sabots (like a production issue) and basically if there is no contact with bone they are not going to open up at all.. Just an idea but I would write the manufacturer. Bullets and sabots do some really weird stuff once they hit, the only ones that I don't see open up are the heavy metal ones.... The important part was that the deer was retrieved and not lost....

Years ago in the Flintlock season here in Pa. for the longest time the law read you “must” use round ball ammunition. I quit hunting the Flintlock season because those round balls just poked a hole in one side, if you were lucky enough to get a pass through shot you could follow a blood trail, but many, if no snow died without having a blood trail, my brother and I bought our own mold and found ourselves scuba diver weights, really soft lead, that made a huge difference, but little did we know we were slowly ruining our barrels, the lead started to fill in the rifling in the barrel. We took the barrels to a gunsmith who thought they could cook the lead out, but failed, so we ended up ordering Green Mountain barrels and started shooting sabot bullets, soon after the Pa game commission wised up and made it legal to use a projectile that was suitable to the rifle, because the bullets were traveling much slower than a muzzle loader most were made with softer lead and being a sabot it didn’t affect the rifling and many more deer were harvested and not coyote bait. I would either change bullet manufacturer to one without a copper jacket, or move up to 150 grains of powder. I know with a 150 grains of powder in my muzzy and that gun kills on both ends:sweating: but gets the job done.