Legacy- 2017 Deer Season

Legacy

Granted the rut hasn't kicked in to swell the neck, but since both pictures are taken in September one year apart rutty body shape is out of the equation.  I would say you better shoot him (no duh!) as he looks like he is declining (mild winter too).  

Had a decent buck bust out of a thicket on one of the doe who was eating clover off a frost-seeded trail. He then crossed some thick stuff to immediately below the stand, gave the ladder a brief sniff, and worked to the corn. I took a couple of cell phone shots, but they're not worth posting. Other than that, a couple of doe walked by at dark.

Went last nite and had 6 does around me by 5:10, after a half hour one blows and they all freeze eyes locked in one direction. Knew this can't be good. They all bolt and here comes wiley coyote. He comes in and I give him a haircut. Damn! Look up and here comes #2, throw on another arrow and this one comes to the same spot. Bingo! It wheels with its guts hanging out and lays down 40 yds away. Look up here comes #3! He comes in slower and makes his way over to the wounded one and snaps at it enough that the wounded one gets up and runs it off a ways. For the next 20 minutes he sniffs and snoops around walking on logs and trying to figure out what's going on. Finally he comes to the same spot the others did but he's trotting, I squeak to stop him and he bolts immediately. Should have just shot him trotting. 5 minutes later from the direction the coyote went here comes 6 does and they know something isn't right. Long story short the 2 lead does circle the "dead" coyote and come  up to within 5 yds and then they move off. After an hour or so I figure the woods is blown up at this point anyway so I get down and get my 2 arrows and walk over to the coyote and he gets up and takes off! I follow him for 150 yds and he goes in a thicket and its so dark with all the leaves still on that I can barely see. I get up to ten yds and I can't tell if he is where I saw him lay down or not, then he bares his teeth so I was sure!  Finish him off because I honestly felt bad for him at this point. With his last breath he bites the end of my arrow off. Crazy tough animals.

Also a tip when shooting at a deer be aware of angle and position.Picture where you want your arrow to exit the deer. If that deer was standing completely broadside the entrance location would not be good at all but on  a quartering deer that's where shot placement needed to be to take out engine room , hit vitals and heart....that doe only made it 40 yds

Edited by dvdegeorge

October 2 am

clear skies

39 degrees

light fog

light SSE wind 3 mph with 9 mph gusts

Lots of deer on their feet this morning but most of it before 745. 15 total deer seen including 7 bucks. (6 of those no doubt were different bucks not positive on the seventh). I had a 2.5 year old buck give me a heart attack at first light. By the time I saw him he was 15 yards and almost broadside. His decent rack had me in a panic as i reached for my bow and clipped on my release.It didn't take long to realize he wasn't the one but it sure made for an exciting 10 seconds. 5- 1 year old bucks, 1- 2 year old buck, and 1- 3 year old 10 pt that given the chase i would fling an arrow at. Saw some sparring, and even some premature chasing. 2 rub lines near the stand seam to be getting some attention. 

So i did a little research on a buck I have on camera and here is his pics from the last three seasons.

Buck in 2015

PICT0065_zpsvuhpdrrn.jpg

Buck in 2016

PICT0094_zpspjandh12.jpg

PICT0073_zpszhiawkfy.jpg

Buck in 2017

IMG_0313_zpsede4dlp5.jpg

IMG_0408_zpsiokpbtut.jpg

IMG_0032_zpsig9egcwn.jpg

Very possible he is the brother of a 9pt buck I killed in 2015

PICT0037_zpsdxekf1ii.jpg

Sniff Test: Scent Control Products and Practices vs. a Drug Dog

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/2014/07/sniff-test-scent-control-products-and-practices-vs-a-drug-dog

A very good read on scent control vs a dogs nose. 4 individual tests total, done over the course of 6 years. Very intriguing results from the use of ozone products in test #4. I feel i am pretty good with scent control but its never enough. Its tough to beat a whitetails nose. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Scent Crusher unit (https://scentcrusher.com) and I pulled the trigger yesterday on the tote model. I spoke to a couple guys that have the Scent Crusher closet and although the products were still new to them they had only positive things to say. Personally, Ill take any advantage i can get! Ill obviously report on my findings with the Scent Crusher tote as the season progresses. 

The down side with ozone is that it will age some of your synthetics faster.  I do not have one but I know someone who has one and he says the elastic waist bands on the undergarments  lose holding power.  I see this kind of degradation in the lab too.  With that said he says one charge in the bag and he can hunt up wind from deer all day.

Don't forget your breath.  A lot of good it does to make your body and clothes low scent and have terrible breath.

Congrats to everyone who harvested opening day.  I went out morning and evening and and saw nothing in the stands but saw a 7 different 2nd yr bucks which was encouraging for the following years.  A few could have been spot and stalks but they weren't on my hit list. It was neat watching them spar.  I always get a kick out of it when the deer are interactive and not just feeding and sneaking.

I have had good luck with Scentlok clothing. Some people think it is a gimmick but I can assure that it is not. You have to use it correctly, rubber boots, gloves, and headgear.

Nothing is 100% fool proof but it keeps the deer from coming "unglued" when they pick up some scent.

They have proven that washing yourself and normal hunting clothes in scent free soap does not fool deer at all. I still use scent free soap because it can't hurt but it is the actual odor coming off of your body that they smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I too have seriously been on the fence of buying the bag!! I agree hunt the wind 100% of the time. But the big problem I have where I hunt, is of the wind is not blowing sustained 15mph or more, the wind CONSTANTLY swirls! If this unit truely is what it says it is then I would love to give it a try. So Rob, please hunt down wind as much as possible and let us know if this product is exactly what it says! ;)

I agreed 100 percent that a deer's sense of smell will win every time. All of my stands are wind specific and are avoided if the wind is not in my favor. I am very scent conscience. I only use scent free soaps and deodorant during the hunting season. I invested in scent blocker suits. I believe i am doing everything I should be and then some. My hopes are that if everything doesn't go as planned that scent crusher (along with everything else) will buy me more time at a chance to arrow big buck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app