200' Copper on a tx-22

vogel451

200' Copper on a tx-22

Hello I am a fingerlake's fisherman and lately I have been having issues with my tx-22's while pulling a copper.  The issue is when I hook a Heavy fish, the fish will sink the my boards and they will pull/swirl uncontrollably under the water.  Now in the spring when im using mono I just let the reel free spool and let the board float to the surface.  However with the weight of a big fish and and the copper the board isn't coming up!  I loose my best fish due to unnecessary slack.  What are my options?!??!  I cant keep loosing big fish

i have the same boards they are easy to set up and get fishing but nothing like using a planner board mast and boards . i have had them go under the water when a fish hits too . i made my tx -22 board with the weight in the back so the nose of the board rides high in the water and try to make the line in the release will release when the fish hits so the board floats till it slides down to the fish witch should be on the surface . i have not used them on copper someone else will have chime in . good luck on those big fish... 

I never let my boards release but I have the TX 44's and the Walleye boards.. My releases are tightened as far as I can tension wise (without unduly stressing the plastic so they break) and I insert the braid as far back in the grip as I can and sometimes I even wrap the braid a couple times around the release if run in rough water. When bringing in the fish I try to keep the pressure constant on the fish and take the board off the line when it reaches the boat. If the board dives I point the rod directly at it downward without giving slack and reel and it comes in.

Edited by Sk8man

I think the biggest thing here is that a lot of guys leave their drags extremely loose when you do this not only do you not get the greatest hook sets but you also allow the board to get easily pulled underneath the water because of all the slack line that can get I like to leave mine not tight not loose but right in between there's enough stretch in your mono leader so that the fish can't break you off and they will still be able to pull drag if they're a good fish.. I have run 300 coppers on TX 22 no problem since I have started running them.. I run 30 lb braid backing and I like to rap the braid backing around the clip once before putting it in so that the planer board cannot slide down or release.. When you do have a fish on you don't need to worry about fighting the fish until you get the board to the boat, the board will fight the fish for you until you get the board to the boat.. When the board starts to get close to the boat they will usually start doing their hopping and trying to dive what I have found is that once you get to that point if you point your Rod tip straight at the board low to the water the board will stay nice and flat the rest of the way to the boat and then you can release it and you will be mono e mono... hope this helps good luck you're still going to get big fish a couple times a year that rip your boards under the water whether you like it or not LOL it just happens try a few of those things and I guarantee you it will definitely help..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks again Mike.  Everyone I've asked had a general idea of what my problem was but you new exactly what I was talking about.  Its happend three times this year and I only landed one of those fish and it was big.  Tighter drags and point at the board.  Check.  Thanks!

I think the biggest thing here is that a lot of guys leave their drags extremely loose when you do this not only do you not get the greatest hook sets but you also allow the board to get easily pulled underneath the water because of all the slack line that can get I like to leave mine not tight not loose but right in between there's enough stretch in your mono leader so that the fish can't break you off and they will still be able to pull drag if they're a good fish.. I have run 300 coppers on TX 22 no problem since I have started running them.. I run 30 lb braid backing and I like to rap the braid backing around the clip once before putting it in so that the planer board cannot slide down or release.. When you do have a fish on you don't need to worry about fighting the fish until you get the board to the boat, the board will fight the fish for you until you get the board to the boat.. When the board starts to get close to the boat they will usually start doing their hopping and trying to dive what I have found is that once you get to that point if you point your Rod tip straight at the board low to the water the board will stay nice and flat the rest of the way to the boat and then you can release it and you will be mono e mono... hope this helps good luck you're still going to get big fish a couple times a year that rip your boards under the water whether you like it or not LOL it just happens try a few of those things and I guarantee you it will definitely help..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app