Skaneateles DEC says Walleyes confirmed in Skaneateles

Conesus walleye spawn in conesus inlet but that doesn't mean it amounts to anything. The alewife are very efficient at eating tiny walleye fry.  Adult walleye eat alewives but they do not reduce the population for very long. This was shown by Cornell studies on Cayuta Lake. I see some of you are excited about walleye in skaneateles but I can't see it amounting to much. Skaneateles is the least productive finger lake so it isn't suddenly going to support a large walleye population for very long

Do they somehow mark the walleyes when they stock Otisco? If they were just trying to get an idea of the fish population by only electro shocking and no mark/recapture it seems ineffective.

I know the purpose of the electro shocking on Oneida is part of a mark/recapture. That is why they clip a fin on the walleyes in the hatchery when they are stripped. Then when they shock they can get a better idea of the walleye population based on how many clipped fins they find.

Edited by reeleyz

The fish stocked in Otisco from 2009 to 2013 were treated with an antibiotic, oxytetracycline (OTC). This shows up in lab tests, so DEC can tell if an 'eye is from those years.

DEC used gill netting in both Owasco and Skaneateles to get their fishery samples. 

Not sure what happened with Owasco , but I know in the early 2000'S I saw dozens of 20 in. plus walleyes pulled through the ice, it was a real bloodbath, every fish a couple of pounds at least. Mile or two south of Auburn west side. Same years I saw and old guy with a younger dude catch walleyes in the middle of the day at Elsinore to the south in about 15 to 35 ft deep, middle of summer. Those guys moved at a snails pace (no motor) and limited out (at least 3 hogs anyway) every time they went, worked damn hard for em though I could not believe it. Don't really know what this means but they are in there. They run up the creek at Dutch Hollow!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Guys. I have read all this and numerous good points have been made.
Skn is identified as one of the premier Rainbow/landlocked salmon fisheries in the area. The Lt, perch, and bass fishing isn't bad either. It might be fun to throw a nice walleye in the casting mix from time to time. But my only hope is that the rainbow fishery not get destroyed by the walleye.

But, ecology is constantly changing.....and so are the lakes. Get in the fishing diary programs with the DEC. report your numbers and trips. Hopefully we can all target the species we desire in skn.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Skaneatles will definitely support walleye!  The proof is that they are thriving with out a massive introductory stocking.  Stop stocking all trout in the fingers and see how well the rainbows and landlocked salmon do.  The lake is loaded with perch and panfish.  As far as it being a great rainbow trout and landlocked fishery goes there isnt near the cold water food source that there is for walleye.

The stocked fish are basically the only fish that are successfully shocked fish in otisco as they live in the stained water.  They didn't get natural reproduction fish until they Gill netted away from the pond after I found natural reproduction fish away from the causeway and reported it to the DEC.  Now if the Gill nets were put were the fish are... wow they would have had some samples.  Honestly I was surprised they got any where the nets were....go ahead and believe alewife predation wipes out reproduction completely, but you will be wrong.

7 hours ago, jerktroller said:

I don't know of many lakes like Skaneateles that have good walleye fishing over the long term. I hope I'm wrong. We will see...

Why not??.. The lake has changed a LOT from years ago.. its a lot less clear, there are weeds everywhere, where there were none at one time, and the lake is stiff with small perch and other panfish in the shallow areas for the walleyes to eat.. the entire south end of the lake is a big fairly shallow submerged  weedbed, with a lot of cover for young Walleye and their prey.. walleyes don't need alewives to eat.. they eat crayfish, bugs, worms, crayfish, small catfish, perch, sculpins, madtoms. shiners . just about anything.. I doubt there will be many 15 pounders in a lake like skinny, probably more like what i am used t catching in the susquehanna river, where  a five pounder is a big fish, and 15 to 19 inch fish are the norm... bob

8 minutes ago, jerktroller said:

I agree with all that but the areas you are describing are a small percentage of the lake. Maybe that will be enough to support a fishery 

A "hot"  primary fishery???.  Probably not.. However, sunnies perch, bullheads, pickerel, LMB, Rock bass don't inhabit 150 foot depths suspended mid lake over 300, and the lake has good  fishing for those species  at various places.. The walleyes will do ok there if they aren't descended upon by hordes of meat hungry anglers... They will provide a secondary or tertiary fishery for those in the know that find the spots, patterns, techniques... I'll most likely never fish for them there, but some will, and probably in years to come, some will do ok with them.. Will it replace Oneida in the hearts and minds of walleye freaks???.. er umm, no... bob