Running Wire

Wire is put on dipsy rods and yes you need a roller tip or what they call a twily tip you only need to change the tip. Copper wire is softer and you don't need to modify your rods. With wire if you don't change the tip eventually a burr will develop in the tip and can create a sharp spot that could cut your line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lilly is right. The seven strand stinless steel wire can act like a hack saw on the tip and or line guides  unless the friction path is redirected by either a roller tip or a twilli. The twilli tip is the least expensive and perhaps the easiest solution for most folks as good quality roller tips can be expensive (some wellover $100 in the salt water environment) and they vary greatly in diameter so you have to pretty much know the actual diameter of the rod tip shaft and how it corresponds to the diameter number of the roller tips for a good fit. The twillis come with several adaptors in the package and the total cost is less than $10. The cheaper roller tips may have aluminum side plates which when the rod is at an inappropriate angle (say from wave action when in the rod holder) the 7 strand wire may see saw into or through the side plate. All steel roller tips with steel side plates are necessary when using the 30 lb 7 strand wire.

55 minutes ago, ifishy said:

19 strand wire is much more forgiving and can use a regular guide at least for a while just keep an eye on it

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Check out the 19 strand Torpedo wire. It works very well, kink resistant, also can use easy knots with it. I have been using it for a few years now & with regular rod guides & tips.

3 hours ago, leadcore troller said:

Running Wire

With all the talk of running wire vs leadcore, I guess it has it"s advantages, my question is when running wire on rods , are there special rods a lot of you guys use or is it wise to change the guides to rollers ?  Or can the regular tip tops and guides handle the abrasiveness of wire.

Wire vs leadcore isn't really a decision to be made.... not same purpose or application