Kevin J Legg

Thoughts on slot limit on SLR walleyes

33 posts in this topic

Kevin did he mention anything about the lake walleye spawnings, just curious, for the most part the lake spawners are on the way out already, before the season opens. But if spawning habitats could be improved that would be something we all could get involved in. Keeping those damn gobies from destroying or eating the eggs would be a godsent!! Thanks for looking into this:yes:.  PAP

Black River and Chaumont River both have significant spawning. They have already put gravel in Chaumont to improve spawning success. I'm also certain that many of the lake walleyes migrate to Quinte and spawn their tributaries. He also believe that since perch and walleye spawn early (March/April) the gobies are still in deep water and don't have the same affect as on the bass which spawn much latter (May/June) That leads to better recruitment for the walleye and perch and a decrease in bass numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Black River and Chaumont River both have significant spawning. They have already put gravel in Chaumont to improve spawning success. I'm also certain that many of the lake walleyes migrate to Quinte and spawn their tributaries. He also believe that since perch and walleye spawn early (March/April) the gobies are still in deep water and don't have the same affect as on the bass which spawn much latter (May/June) That leads to better recruitment for the walleye and perch and a decrease in bass numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

:yes: Thanks, Kevin, I never really thought about the water temp being a factor in the gobies activities.

Whatever happened to raising walleyes in Cape Vincent? Somewhere in the past I recall that this was going to be done but did not meet NYS DEC approval? That would be an awesome if that could get up and running!!!

I am for a slot. Not sure of the best numbers to maintain a solid breeder population. And a few trophies for fishermen and women.

I wouldn’t say that the larger girls are less fertile. They don’t have the number of eggs as the slightly younger ones but their eggs have a higher viability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk