2017 WATERFOWL SEASON

The 2017 season is here 🦆 !!! I didn't have much time the passed couple of weeks to scout but I had a field to go to ... There is only about 50 birds in it , I only planned on hunting it if i couldn't find anything else. Well I didn't find anything else so I went solo not to waste anyone's time. I packed light 2 dozen shells and 4 full bodies no blind just put some straw on top of me. At 645 had a flock of 15 come to my right and land I sat up and they just looked at me , I lined up heads and put the smack down. Got 6 one was a sailor that I never found . Then a 3 pack comes in my face and they go down . To end the day a solo comes in to take it. Funny part was that's all I saw . I can't find any birdsIMG_20170903_081420.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Did some scouting Friday with a couple buddy's and we found a field with about 60 birds with some in other fields but not any numbers but decided to hunt them anyway. Took the A frame blind out for the first time . Man does that work mint , look at the pic. Looks stupid if u ask me but they just about land in it. We ended up with 26 and 2 bands . Boy did it get hot fast need them cool temps IMG_20170916_091601.jpg

Got permission for a field last night that had about 200 in it . Got all set up and the first birds came at 650 to about 830 then it got slow. We ended the morning with 39 . Did see 2 high flying flocks , hope some move down for the last weekend. IMG_20170917_095301.jpg

Finally got permission on a field I'd been watching all season. Got out for my first time successfully being able to decoy geese and was very pleased with the results (though not as pleased with our shooting:lol:). Bird dropped right into the decoys, some even landed after we shot....guess that's early season geese. Me and my old man ended up with 11, but could have definitely had more of we shot better or had stayed longer. We even had birds wanting the field as we were picking up. 22 goose breasts is enough for now anyways though! Was a lot of fun and great to spend time with the man who got me into hunting!  

IMG_6007.JPG

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

We went North for probably twenty years in a row, mainly Perch River then Upper and Lower for awhile. Lots of work. But my dad used to say that if you didn't enjoy the process of duck hunting, then you weren't a duck hunter. It was all about the preparation, setting the decoys, training the dog, practicing at the range (not nearly enough). Either swearing at the mosquitoes or pouring hot coffee over your fingers to get them to move.

I haven't been up there in a couple of years. Everybody got kids and got busy, myself included. I'm glad that the duck gods were good to you! Maybe next year... 

If u want wood ducks find a creek with acorn trees they hang a little longer around them. I didn't seen the number of wood ducks like last year up north but they were there. Mallards are moving around the ROC a little bit saw multiple flocks flying in the rain this morning. Can't wait for our opener

I hunted the southern zone (Broome County) Saturday morning and way up north Sunday morning. More woodies down south than up north but that always seems to be the  case. We haven't really had any weather to push them out yet. If its warm they will stay. plenty of mallards and some teal in both zones as well. Hopefully this warm weather junk goes away and we get a decent migration push this year.

Went out today with a buddy and his kid on a youth hunt , saw some good early morning action all different kinds of ducks in the area. He ended with 4 , 2 mallards and a gadwell and a pintail. He had a blast !!!!! So did lily. IMG_20171014_101957.jpgIMG_20171014_082933.jpgIMG_20171014_080300.jpgIMG_20171014_071346.jpg

• 2 weeks later...