2017 WATERFOWL SEASON

We used the A-frame blind with a new snow cover we got. It worked out good but I got out to get birds and looked back at the Blind and you can see my buddys Silhouette through when the sun is out..... Very poor cover

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Been a slow year on the SLR but picked up on the Canadian side after the NY season ended. Wish they'd have a later season in NY up north but sometimes we do get iced out due to the cold. Guess it's a crap shoot but you can't shoot birds if they're not here.

I found my large Mr Buddy worked fine off 20# tank with a gas filter. Always froze up with small tanks in very cold weather.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It sure is a short-season up there. U did good on the geese tho!!! Nice job
Got out today on the big O. It's nice when they decoy like your not even there. Mix bag of buffs , golden eyes, old Squaw.IMG_20171228_151039.thumb.jpg.f34d2f83010f300e5949059bb9dea428.jpgIMG_20171228_151122.thumb.jpg.e04f012e7a719998a6e4b0c0ed3c66de.jpg

Nice shoot. Divers are fun to hunt but I haven't been able to find a way to use the Oldsquaws yet. I may head down to the western end the last week of the season if launches remain open. Not sure how this cold weather and snow will affect things.

Thanks . I give the feathers to my buddy's dad for fly tying. I have to shoot them or they will stack up outside my rig and then I'm out of luck. Fun shooting , good practice , make the cold days fun!! Good luck if u get out!

Thanks . I give the feathers to my buddy's dad for fly tying. I have to shoot them or they will stack up outside my rig and then I'm out of luck. Fun shooting , good practice , make the cold days fun!! Good luck if u get out!

Certainly are fun shooting and I have a friend that freezes them and trains his dog with them. I like the whistlers and buffies better but you sure can burn up shells on those cripples. In the late season you take what you can get. I have hunted out of Oak Orchard on occasion late in the year but it's a haul for me.

I got a question on crippled ducks. There was a group of guys 9 that were next to me and a buddy this morning. They could only walk out to their last decoy to retrieve birds and couldn't go any farther. I don't see why they keep shooting at Birds at the tail end of their decoys and by the time they die if they do they are event farther away. I counted 11 crippled birds to 6 dead that they retrieved.
So 9 guys = 54 bodies birds.
99 crippled birds to get 54 = 153 total.
So can I just shoot ducks with no way of retrieving them?

4 hours ago, longspurs said:

I got a question on crippled ducks. There was a group of guys 9 that were next to me and a buddy this morning. They could only walk out to their last decoy to retrieve birds and couldn't go any farther. I don't see why they keep shooting at Birds at the tail end of their decoys and by the time they die if they do they are event farther away. I counted 11 crippled birds to 6 dead that they retrieved.
So 9 guys = 54 bodies birds.
99 crippled birds to get 54 = 153 total.
So can I just shoot ducks with no way of retrieving them?

Nope. You need a means to retrieve. The rules on DEC website states a “reasonable effort” to retrieve birds. Antis would love this thread. 

Edited by Gill-T

I hear the both of u on that it's bull sh . They did it again this morning. No need for me to call DEC either. They know the spot gets hunted hard every day, easy for them to check everybody too. Parking tickets as well could be handed out, cuz the duck hunters can't read a sign. Lots of money to be had down there to pay for the new trucks they all got. o yeah the 2018 just came out.....

8 hours ago, longspurs said:

I hear the both of u on that it's bull sh . They did it again this morning. No need for me to call DEC either. They know the spot gets hunted hard every day, easy for them to check everybody too. Parking tickets as well could be handed out, cuz the duck hunters can't read a sign. Lots of money to be had down there to pay for the new trucks they all got. o yeah the 2018 just came out.....

My buddy is an Econ officer. He gets really frustrated with people complaining but not doing anything about seen  hunting infractions. They would love a call to bust people breaking the law. 

Had a visit from the Dec yesterday while out on seneca mid hunt. He showed up at our blind at 8 45 when the ducks were pushing big time. By the time he left it was close to ten. We left the house at 2 30 am and he ruined the best part of our hunt. I understand he is just doing his job but I have a lot of time and money into this to have that happen. If I wanted to watch ducks fly by in 0 degree weather I would sit in my truck and do it

Sent from my VS990 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Me and a couple buddies made it out to the sulfur pond. hunt was quick as usual . We had about 200 ducks land before legal mostly blacks. Only had two flocks of ducks come in after legal one having a wood duck in the mix.IMG_20171231_084256.jpgIMG_20171231_105145.jpg

Call them in. It will continue until you do. If they don’t have a dog or boat, then they shouldn’t even be duck hunting. Total waste of the resource. Federal wildlife crimes are taken seriously. It will cost them gear and lots of $$$$. Laws exist because relying on ethics doesn’t work unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Me bondouley and a couple buddy's and his Chesapeake hit some big water today . What a dog she is by the way , well trained . Had some action in the morning then it slowed up around 9 . Sure laughed alot !!! Good times. IMG_20180103_075426.jpgIMG_20180103_082232.jpgIMG_20180103_082231.jpgIMG_20180103_110314.jpgIMG_20180103_075217.jpg

Good looking pup! Lost my chessie a few months ago... 13 years is a good age for a big dog thought. By any chance is she from lions pride kennels?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's my buddies Friends dog you got her in Wisconsin. Forgot the breeder's name

Went to the farm pond today with bondouley and a buddy . The mallards and blacks where packed in the hole when we showed up as usual.kicked them out and got set. Good old A frame is awesome with the snow cover on as well, great investment!!! I'm getting to old for this , I need all the comfort I can get. Had the heater going now just waiting for them to come back . The pocket we had open was small and with the blind next to the water under the trees put them in your face. Had good action threw the day. Some bad no calls on shots but awesome to see them work and land then fly away lol my buddy day dreams when they come in and is stunned he don't call it.... I ended that quick. We ended 1 black duck shy of a 3 man limit. Gotta love them big ducks. Also missed a bull widgeon thing was a beauty. IMG_20180104_122705.jpgIMG_20180104_132405.jpg