2017 WATERFOWL SEASON

Man the mallards are out today !! Did some scouting yesterday and found a good amount of them. If u got a spot that gets flooded when it's wet out better get there. Not sure if they are going to do the same thing as today with all the snow coming in. I'll be going back in the morning.
IMG_20180112_101923.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well late season is over for me, only got out twice but had a great season! Today was a 3 man hunt that started with boat issues and slow duck action. A few singles were picked off but we don’t get any flocks in. We weren’t set up for divers but late morning a large flock of redheads worked the shore over us and a 3 man limit hit that water in one volley! My first redhead! I ended up shooting 3 new species this year (Green Winged Teal, Gadwall, Redhead). I am ready for it to be next late season already! 

51A0A871-42B7-438C-9F33-835D4A6EF9D4.jpeg

DCDCB77C-CB6A-4FA8-8AFB-CAE48BD24FCF.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek

You guys on this thread are Hard core for sure. The late season separates the men from the boys...and this season Separated the Vikings from the men! Great job making things happen... Good luck to all who are chasing March Honkers and snows....I'm getting the tackle ready for the Big Lake....cheers!

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Finished my late season with a first for me. Shot a gorgeous white wing scoter drake. We hunted Ontario and had another group of guys come in to set up. It was a tight spot and we would have been on top of each other so they were gracious enough to let us hunt over their spread. Didn't do alot of shooting. Mostly just watched birds come in and drakes fall. But I did get the only crack at a scoter. Awesome late season for us. On to bunny season. Stay safe out there

KIMG0001.thumb.jpg.5921144b38c7c4fe56c621923a7ca89a.jpg

KIMG0005.thumb.jpg.42b4b71eff4fd3c3d473daa23936ffd1.jpg

Edited by WoodieBoater

Me and a couple buddy's finished the year at the sulfur pond . Only had 1 flock come in and got 5. Man was it cold !!! What a year from early season up north , to the western opener , and the western late season . Thanks to all that posted and followed along !!! Great hunts guys!!! IMG_20180114_080949.jpg

I love these posts. You guys sure are lucky to have such great waterfowl hunting out there.  The swamps an hour west of Albany where I hunt have been absolutely lousy for the past two seasons, and once those small waters freeze, it's over, so we pretty much get screwed out of any late season hunting.  So grouse it is, until it's time to get the boat ready for Browns.

I agree, I love seeing how much success there's been in the field this season. I especially like seeing posts of youngsters getting into hunting and fishing. I'm lucky enough to spend half of my time out here and half of my time at the farm in the southern tier. I get spread kind of thin but I get a lot of opportunity for different kinds of hunting. Like you said its hard to hunt late season waterfowl out there, but the grouse are nonexistent out here. Gotta capitalize on what's available. Everyone likes to complain about NY (myself included, and for good reason) but you have to admit that we have a lot of different hunting and fishing opportunities and resources. I always try to remind myself when I complain about stale birds or low grouse numbers that at least I have the opportunity to hunt both in the same state (often on the same day). Gotta love it

Edited by WoodieBoater

• 1 month later...

Got out to the swamp mid morning geese didn't leave to feed yet so I had to bump them off. Had a solo and a 3 pack come in and that was it. Some birds around in fields but I'm done doing work for geese . Took a pic of a flock of pintails. IMG_20180306_141743.jpgIMG_20180306_113640.jpg

Me and a buddy got out to do some jump shooting, as we couldn’t get on any fields/loafs due to lack of scouting time. Only had one good jump, 2 geese on the river, one shot fired by each of us( simultaneously!) , 2 geese fell dead. Praying to get permission for Saturday on a field I found last night! 

5FCA4778-FC88-495E-8B99-97E2FAF2E66C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, longspurs said:

With this weather DawsonC you do what you got to do. Water spots have been tough cuz skim ice . Nice jump !!!

Jumping Canadas is really fun to me. Had a perfect opportunity at a bigger group, sitting in a pond at the bottom of a tall bank, stopped at the house and by the time the guy got to the door and said go ahead and hunt, the geese had swum out too far to jump. They'll be there Saturday though....