questions for the experts

29 minutes ago, garrymny said:

Yep, I earned quick that this salmon fishing is real expensive. started out using 15 lb leaders....after losing $100 in gear, went to 40 lb.  

are you using 40lb right to your spoons?

I use 30 or 40 lb floro between the DIVER and the paddle/SD. Also, between the paddle/SD and the spoon. Also, the flies are tied on 40 lb floro. From the rod to the diver, or the rod to the paddle/SD ( if off a downrigger) I attach the braid or wire from the reel directly to the diver or paddle.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use 30 or 40 lb floro between the DIVER and the paddle/SD. Also, between the paddle/SD and the spoon. Also, the flies are tied on 40 lb floro. From the rod to the diver, or the rod to the paddle/SD ( if off a downrigger) I attach the braid or wire from the reel directly to the diver or paddle.

I hope I described this okay. Basically, I use 30 or 40 lb floro after the diver.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes fisherman in ur marina can help out or go out with a friend that has expierance , sometimes the rigging is secondary to understanding temp ranges , finding bait & depth that is producing to,rigging issues .

keep a note book to keep track,of what I caught , depth , temp rig etc pretty soon patterns will merge .

good luck 

Keep a lookout as well for salmon or trout "classes". The niagra show in January has a great deal of presentations to learn from. I believe the LOTSA organization puts on a school that is filled with information and a great investment. I know myself out of Sodus(suspicious lines charters) and Pecci( dreams come true)out of Oswego run classes on the boat. Its much cheaper and designed to give information and help you catch more fish. My personal belief is to make sure to invest in some knowledge as well as lures and gear. I will always do it. 30 years fishing on the lake...and always something to learn.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Lake Ontario United mobile app