Dunkirk 8/29 to 9/1

walteye

Dunkirk 8/29 to 9/1

Other than not wanting to fish on Thursday due to 4'+ waves and 20 mph winds-every day was a winner out of Dunkirk. Fished off Silver Creek in 81-94 fow and hammered walleye every day. Being alone in the boat with just my white GSD to assist-during the day the rods only slowed up only about 2 total hours each day. Yes-the vast majority of the walleye were only in the 16-18" range (and there is NOTHING wrong with that size) but what great fun!

There was a thermocline that was set up about 70' down and as long as you run the lures through that zone-fish were very numerous. The largest eye of the 3 days was 29" besides 12 others in the mid-20" range. Watermelon harness with a spoon in similar color ahead rocked every day. Blue with orange belly Renosky and deep purple with black belly Renosky were almost as good. Black Slide diver with a 10' lead and Walker deeper diver with same lead worked best. I used to use a longer lead to the lure but the shorter lead worked better this week.

Walteye

For Erie this year we were disappointed with all the smalls, 16-18". We couldn't keep them off the line. At times we had 6 on at once. I guess it's the going to Erie thinking you want 4lb fish or bigger for almost everyone like past years. With the occasional 10lb + eye. But catching eyes none the less is fun.