aluminum boats

outback kennels

Every boat is different.  Sometimes trim up, sometimes trim down.   Sometimes more weight in the front and sometimes in the back.   I have 19' Sea Nymph and I keep it trimmed up mostly in rough water and just slow down if I have to.   The steeper the V, the smoother the ride.   Starcraft is on another level with their 19' as it has a much steeper hull.

Agree with dragon, plus the seanymph is a lighter boat. Mine is I think like 1000 lbs dry, no motor. The lunds and such now a days are a heavier boat weighted through out. I'd say put some weight up front, be careful though, the stringer that goes from live well to live that touches the inside of each side can literally punch a hole out as I see some denting in that area on my boat. This from the pounding over the years I'm guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

:lol:Might also want to place the bag (s) of sand in construction grade trash bags or something as the container bags sand comes in often leaks and it can be tough to get out of the boat and when wet can clog a shop vac

Edited by Sk8man

Operate in high seas at six mph. You will get there, it just takes longer. Your back and boat will last more longer. Boat dealers sell high speed engines for profit, not safety. Several times this year we came in from six miles out in over an hours time but there was no pounding hurting backs or loose rivets. Take care of your boat, get used used to traveling slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just sold a 19ft Sea Nymph I had for six seasons.  There is no easy fix on this one as it does not have the deepest V in the world compared to Lunds Crestliners and later model Starcrafts.

Also Lunds and Crestliners weigh more.  I concur with the above comments, slow it down and put a little trim in the mix so the bow rides a little higher.

Have had a mix of boats over the years, the reality struck last week when driving my new to me Pursuit which is only a foot longer, but is fiberglass, weighs at least 1000lbs more and has a deep vee.

No comparison.

I have a 19' Crestliner superhawk and when trolling I put the bow mount in even if I'm not going to use it as it seems to help mitigate the bow riding over the waves and more go through them. I'm guessing the drag of it helps prevent the bow from popping up so much. It definitely helps.That's for trolling. As for running, just go slow. I have no desire to pound myself or my 45000 boat through the waves lifetime hull warranty or not

• 5 weeks later...

We were caught in the PWT tournament blow out of Dunkirk a few years ago. 45 MPH winds, 12 foot swells, the 21 foot Crestliner was vertical and almost blown back many times at 6 MPH. Bass boats slid back into the water and their engines gurgled. Still slow and steady got us back after a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Wow! What a ride. Feel for the guys in bass boats. I’ve seen them bob up and down completely out of sight near the towers just west of the Dunkirk harbor. Erie is shallow and she can get ugly in a heartbeat. Those wicked fast motors prove useless when the weather sneaks up on them. 

Glad you pulled out of it. Guess you have the right kind of vessel.