Off season fun

Off season fun

Well I couldn't get on any goose fields this weekend so I had to resort to another feathered foe. Tried decoying them in but they wanted no part of the spread. Flushed a barn in the evening and hung out by the silos and traded shots while they came back. The 3 of us shot 16 birds. Each one was loaded with chopped corn, they should be good eating! 

IMG_5924.JPG

IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5923.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like fun!  I would be interested to hear how they taste, didn't know people ate Pigeons.  Spent yesterday at the 3F club in Lewiston with my two dogs volunteering for their pheasant youth program/hunt.  Really warm for the dogs but great action for them to get primed for season.

My first good dog cut her teeth on pigeons, shooting them over decoys in pea fields. We took over 600 birds one August and the farmers thanked us. By the time goose season rolled in, she was crackerjack. Unfortunately, that was over 15 years ago and she's been gone for a few seasons...without a dog, it's not as much fun hunting birds. Our latest lab is decidedly NOT a gun dog. Just no drive. Sucks.

FYI, if you want to make cheap decoys, and they work well too, take 2 liter Coke bottles and cut them off on one side from just below the cap to just shy of the opposite side of the bottom at an angle, then paint them gray and spot them with some black. Use wooden dowels to hold them in place if it's windy. Nothing beats dead birds in the set though. Pigeons decoy just like ducks, circling a few times before committing. 

It was great fun, and they were actually really good eating, I was pleasantly surprised. Marinated the breast meat and stuffed in a jalapeno with cheddar and bacon, grilled till the meat was medium rare. It was tender and delicious! Ill have to try those decoys out, just have to find some feeding birds.

FB_IMG_1503708187368.jpg
My 9month old Choc was out at Jim Beverly's for the month of August.
Jackson was retrieving birds at 3 months, but he needed some polishing.... Its funny how I see the same characteristics in him as my Parker boy. Very soft personality, but very focused when in the field.
Gator.... Can't agree more... Bird hunting and waterfowling doesn't have the same meaning without a four legged partner there.

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
I've had some great pigeons shoots. Great fun, no limits, and decent eating. I have had good luck using decoys when place where they are feeding. Also shot many at barns Ned silos. Good work for dog as well.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

A park bench around 63rd and 5th makes a sweet pigeon set up[emoji12].

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, EsoxAC3 said:

A park bench around 63rd and 5th makes a sweet pigeon set upemoji12.png.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

LMAO. True that!

I forgot about the spinners!! Mojo dove operated off a six volt battery and was deadly on pigeon. The motion really attracted the birds, and unlike ducks where it could be advantageous or detrimental, pigeons never got spooked by spinners, probably because they saw them so little. That'd likely change if they were in widespread use. Pigeons aren't dumb, despite appearances.